1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows BSOD in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Cei, 2 Mar 2015.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So, I was happily playing Homeworld 2 Remastered when boom, my machine for the first time ever BSOD'ed. I got the error message "Kernel_data_inpage_error (spaceport.sys).

Google indicated that this is usually a failing disk. Crystal Disk shows my boot/Windows SSD at 99% health and 100% on the Samsung game SSD. So, err, any ideas?

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Ok, after a quick Google it would seem it could be down to out of date drivers, faulty RAM or software corruption.

So update your drivers, run an elevated command prompt and type
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    If none of that fixes it, check for viruses and finally test your RAM with MemTest86.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Okay, so only driver was NVIDIA needed a small update.
    System scan didn't find anything.
    Image restore completed successfully and says "the component store corruption was repaired".
    No memory errors.

Hope the image restore thing was the problem then! Thanks :)

Last edited: 2 Mar 2015
  4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Ugh, nope.

I'm now getting freezes on the desktop that lock up the entire system. For example, I just clicked the Chrome icon in my taskbar, and instead of opening a window it simply jammed to a halt and I had to manually restart.

Thinking a Windows reinstall might be on the cards.

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Can you check the temperatures on you graphics card?

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Definitely wasn't that - I've got a 780 with the Titan style cooler, sitting all by its happy self with plenty of space and exhausting hot air straight out the top of the case.

Reinstall of Windows 8 seems to have solved the issue for now though. Been stable for the last 3 hours.

7. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

99% ssd health and "component store corruption fixed" sounds like the SSD is knackered.

My guess is that you will fill it up to the point where the issue is and it will start crashing again.

I have an SSD that has a fault that is not reported by scanning/health checks, but when I get enough data on the drive I get a BSOD.

I would try to fill the SSD up - copy over loads of ISO's or something and see if you can make it crash.