1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other BSOD 'Internal power error' please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vimesey, 16 Feb 2009.

1. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Hi done a new build as follows:

Asus P5Q-vm
    Q6600
    2x2GB XMS2
    4870 1GB
    Coolermaster M520w PSU

Getting BSOD on boot, right after the vista loading bar (ultimate x64) some times i can get in, generally if i reformat it and don't stick any driverson i'm ok for a bit, but obviously thats useless.

Could this just be too little PSU power? Or maybe fualty RAM or Mobo? If so how would i go about diagnosing the cause?

Many thanks, tis is really frustrating me

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

It definitely isn't too little power, 520 is more than enough for that setup.
    For diagnosis, remove everything you dont need, use 1 stick of RAM (swap them if still getting issues), your CPU, if you have a spare graphics card, use that.
    If swapping the RAM sticks doesn't do anything run memtest.
    erm...

3. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Ok tried simply first using just hte sticks by themselves, neither being removed helped.

Thogh now i notice sometimes instead of BSOD, it laods this 'If this is a new build..' (regardless of tam situation, it will still BSOD half the time)

But it only loads that much of the screen and a bit fo text at the bottom, then it just reboots itself.

I think i might cry :waah:

4. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Oh and i can boot into safe mode no problems, so confused!

5. Vimesey

Vimesey What's a Dremel?

Ok everything works if i use the onboard GPU on the P5Q-vm, so there's a problem with either the PSU providing it power or the GPU, don't have spare of either to find out which :(.

Also the wiring is a bit different, i.e. instead of one of the pci-e power connectors being a solid block of six, it s a block of four then two loose, to allow it to fit. But surely that wouldn't be an issue if you get as far as the windows load bar and can boot into safe mode?

Many thanks

Last edited: 16 Feb 2009