1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Budget gaming PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TobletDanillio, 13 Apr 2013.

1. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

Hello people,

I'm hopefully going to be making a gaming pc for a friends son (only 13/14) and he will be paying for it.

I'm not to sure what games he will be playing other than mine craft atm.

So I was thinking of something like this.

Sharkoon VS3-V linky £26.40
    AMD FX 6300 Black Edition linky£107.56
    Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 linky £53.96
    Seagate 1TB linky £51.95
    Corsair Vengeance LP 4GB 1600mhz linky £27.11
    XFX P1-450S-X2B9 linky £36.54
    Windows 7 Home Premium Retail linky £118.88
    Total £422.40

and if it needs a graphic card was thinking of
    Sapphire HD7770 GHZ EDITION linky £88.52

then making the total £510.92

but does it seems a bit much for a cheap gaming pc?

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Have you thought about going down the intel route or is he set on AMD? Also are you going to be sticking with stock speeds or overclocking?

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

If he is just playing minecraft he could probably get away with an apu or intel 4000 but the apu will limit the future upgradeability for a discrete card and render half the processor useless. I terms of price that is actually almost spot on because it is £390 without the operating systeam and £400 is generally speaking the reccomended budget for a budget build. I would stick with amd as it has more value than intel in terms of performance. If you are sticking with a mechanical drive I would be tempted to get a slightly higher performance drive like a wd caviar black, but then again with the games he is likely to be playing it doesn't make that much difference. The best thing you could do would be give him a motherboard and components that means he can easily upgrade when he acquires more funds, e.g a cf supported board and the better motherboard chipset (not familiar with amd ones :/) to allow overclocking and more pcie lanes when he upgrades.

4. TobletDanillio

I was thinking of I3 3225 but that's with the graphic card.

I don't know much about amd thats why I picked that motherboard but yes one that could overclock would be much better. me comes back off holiday on Monday so I will talk to them and see what they think.

edit they wont cf so I'm not worried about that

5. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm had a look at that web page and as I closed it down IE went all funny and locked up.

7. TobletDanillio

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Scanned my pc tonight and lo and behold a virus.

Seriously win 7 for £15 and people think it's genuine????

9. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

It's just the CD key. A friends used it and its working for him. I've bought my key but I wont use it util I get an SSD.

If it really isn't genuine you can always get your money back and pay for the full price as shown on scan.

But say it is legit. At that kind of price it's an obvious steal.

10. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Using IE and surprised you get viruses? Please consider a different browser now.:wallbash:
    which AV are you using?

11. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

If you're going AMD quad why not save £40 and go for the Athlon x4 750k? Especially if you're using discrete gpu

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Lol knew someone would come up with that old chestnet.

I used firefox as well and still do and firefox is the one that gives me way more issues than IE, constantly locks up and crashes.

13. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Yeah Firefox went to crap a couple of months back and firefox was only safe when using noscrit and pop up blockers. Either way a health amount of common sense does wonders ;)

Still the active AV should have caught that.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Why common sense?

I've been using IE as my main browser for years and this is the first virus that got through my AV so I don't understand why people jump on IE so much.

Anyway I'm going to stop derailing this thread now.

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Thats like saying I never look when I cross the road, been doing for years, now I get hit by a car.
    Why are people telling me to look both ways? People rag on IE because it has a bad track record and the high level of integration into windows doesn't make it safer. There have been many times where major security flaws have been left open for months as well. I hope you at least keep it up to date.

I would suggest noscript (whitelist trusted pages only, even has a temp. allow function) and ad blocker
    there are versions of this for most non IE browser.

As for AV last I checked: Nod 32/64 was the best AV followed close by Avira (careful this guy is aggressive) and keep windows up to date.

or

don't care about viruses and make a back up image of you OS drive. Then save everything on an other drive. When you get virus just re-image.

16. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

My daughters PC runs tomb raider and Skyrim fine with High res pack switched off. (1920 X 1080)

Intel i3 2120 (I got 2nd hand) You could maybe go for the ivybridge alternative)
    Asus H61 MX R 2.0 (will take ivybridge) £42 from PC world
    HIS 5770 1GB (out of an older upgraded system)
    8GB G-skill 1333 (£36 nearly 2 years ago)
    FSP Blue storm II 500W
    Coolermaster 330 elite. (£15 from pc world clearance place).
    Windows 7 professional

Originally I tried the FX6300 with a Gigabyte GA880GMA USB 3 and found it to be a really good CPU (upgrade from a AMD 955) but the motherboard seem to have a few issues. Replaced the lot and went with intel it runs cooler and the kids thing it's better.

17. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

this is what i come up with i know its just over what you have listed but you can always choice whatever GPU you want ive just added a 7850

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

18. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

This imo looks much better than the one listed by the OP. Simply because the CPU and GPU power alone is easily better in comparison - which also means longevity for a 14 year old who may want to play bigger titles when he is technically old enough to play them ;)

19. TobletDanillio

Ok thanks for all your help was thinking to save him so money and do it without the graphic card and I was told that the Amd had a better graphic than the i3.
    I have now had a chat with the mother and she had told me that he doesn't have the money and doesn't think he will have the money till later in the year so sorry for wasting your guys time.
    I will restart this thread closer to the time

20. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

I think you may need to revise your own original thread then. You say AMD have better graphics than i3, thats the case with the GPU on board chips but the one you state at the top Does not do that. the i3 system above these two posts someone kindly put together is i3 WITH a powerful graphics card and with a more powerful separate card than the one you stated too.

But nevertheless no money = no system. Just FYI next time incase you do build a system with no graphics therefore no screen!

(p.s. what about a monitor too?)