1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build for the missus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 10 Nov 2023.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

My lovely wife has been moaning about her pc forever so I need to build her another one.

I have ram, PSU and bought a second hand Thermal Take Core V1 to build it in

After looking for 2nd hand stuff I'm starting to think buying an AMD 520 itx motherboard and looking for a cheap 2nd hand low end CPU.

Is this my best option?

2. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I guess the obvious questions are:
    • What do you need it to do? And,
    • What’s your budget?

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Pretty much just browsing and videos.

Budget, as cheap as possible, I could buy a H110i motherboard for £75 as I have 2 CPUs to go in it but I'm thinking I'd rather spend a little more and get something more up to date.

4. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's got to be ITX to go in the Core V1.

I've already technically got what I thought was an itx board but it's ever so slightly larger so it doesn't fit which was really annoying.

6. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Ah didnt see that. Love the Core V1 great cases. AMD ITX boards are ridiculous prices.

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

This is the 2nd Core V1, my lounge pc is in one too, my joint favourite case alongside the two CM 690II cases we have.

Doesn't have to be AMD.

8. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I’d probably try and find a B450i and 3400G or 5600G. But to be honest I guess pretty much any modern CPU with iGPU would do.

Another option might be a NUC or mini PC. I picked up a Minisforum one recently to use as a media PC and it’s pretty powerful for such a small package. Mine was fairly high end, but they have a decent range of options. Downside is no real upgradability.

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

@meandmymouth has a mini PC they may or may not out on sale over on the sales that would fit.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I managed to get a half decent price on an AMD A520 board from ebuyer on eBay thanks guys. Really wanted to use the Core V1 plus I bought yellow paracord to do some of the cables.

Now do I nick my son's designated Ryzen 3600 or do I do a wanted for a 3200g.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2023