1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Building a power adapter - PCB advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goatee, 5 May 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

I currently have a motherboard that uses a 12V power brick with with a 4 pin connector. The board connector is one of these and I want an extremely small form factor right angle adapter.

[​IMG]

My plan is to make the following:

[​IMG]

Anything I have overlooked?

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That connector looks like it have more through hole holdowns. You'll want to give more space around the pins, on the inner ones you're only using 50% of the area. You need at least 12.5mm traces to deal withat that load. I'd have the inner one coming out sideways from the back of the pins to around 15mm, then fill the rest of the surrounding area as a whole plane, obviously leaving clearence for the holes. Part of my is tempted to install Eagle for you as it'd take me minutes to do it :p

Edit, couldn't resist!
    Capture.PNG
    You'll have to make the board a bit wider, or my suggestion make it dual ssided. Let me know if you need any more help :)

Last edited: 5 May 2020
    cobalt6700 and Arboreal like this.
  3. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

Thanks @Bloody_Pete that's awesome, exactly the sort of feedback I wanted.

I was intending to just use some single sided board and trace out the areas with a knife (hence made the shape easy) but I fully understand what you are suggesting and I can adjust my design.

Your right about the additional pins https://www.snapeda.com/parts/KPJX-4S-S/Kycon/view-part/?ref=digikey

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its no problem, I've been doing this professsionally for the better part of a decade, although I haven't done any in a year, so it was fun to do!

If you wanted one made would be about $11 from PCBway. I've used them before and its brilliant quality :)

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

The model shows three of the five can pins being soldered as they are ground. You'll want to adjust your layout to accommodate. Depending on how and where you are installing the board you might want to consider connecting the ground plane to your screws, to ensure a good ground connection with your chassis. You may need to look at a double sided board. Also wish to consider how you plan to insulate the traces or mount in an enclosure to prevent contact.

What is the male part on the back? How is it held in position?