1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Building order - AGP graphics straight away or after?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennifer, 14 Dec 2004.

1. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

Should be building my Shuttle ss56l on friday. Its got a built in graphics card but its only 1 monitor and no tv out - and i've been given an Ati Radeon VE64 with 2xVGA outs and a TV-out so I was thinking of plopping that in as ive got 2 crt monitors to plug in and also a TV!

However it will be the first time I ever set up this shuttle with all new bits and fresh blank hard drive etc... So would I be better installing with just the one monitor on the inbuilt card first then adding the agp radeon later... or just plugging that radeon in from step 1?

anyone with any experience of the matter please comment :)

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You would be better off using the AGP card from the beginning. This is true for any IGA solution, if you plan on going AGP/PCI. There should be an option in the
    BIOS to disable your integrated graphics, and I would recommend doing this. Windows tends to be a bit funny reading cards and IGA's, and that sometimes means crawling behind your computer and switching the port the monitor is plugged into 3 times before being able to log into Windows...(although with a Shuttle, not much crawling is needed :p ). If you don't have the BIOS option to disable the IGA, disable it through the Windows Device Manager to prevent confusion.

:thumb:

Tags: