1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Bulldozer compatible motherboard already here?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frontline, 9 Feb 2011.

1. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Found this link on the Rage3D forums, which seems to indicate that the MSI 890FXA-GD65 motherboard is AM3+ ready for Bulldozer CPU's, subject to a bios update:
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=145606.0

[​IMG]

Cheap upgrade option could be on the cards.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

AMD has already stated AM3 boards will be compatible with AM3+ CPUs via a BIOS update, just like AM2 boards could handle AM2+ CPUs. It's down to the manuf. whether they want to drop that BIOS though, and if it's like AM2 to AM2+ you won't get all the benefits of the 'new socket' :) Probably faster DDR3 support and maybe extra power regulation, but I'm not sure yet.

3. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Ah, so even though a motherboard might say 'AM3+' support, it may not offer the same benefits as a motherboard with a 990FX chipset (or whatever it will be called) - Probably just guarantees a bios update at some point?

4. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

Yup...thats right. The 990 chipset should increase performance by a bit as compared to the 890 chipset. But whether it will be like the smallish jump between 790fx and 890fx is still to be seen. I could get better ram timings and speed by moving up to 890fx, but otherwise clock speeds remained the same.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes. :)

mav2000 - the chipset has nothing to do with ram timings - it's CPU and BIOS quality. The 890FX was essentially a 790FX rebranded tbh. The only advantage is that it was paired with the newer SB850 for SATA 6G. Technically you can put a 790FX w/ the SB850 too - the interlink connection is the same.

6. kadombing

kadombing What's a Dremel?

Even though I have P67 board and won't have the money for Bulldozer, I will be quite happy if they overthrow Intel..