1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bungie's Destiny

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 28 Nov 2012.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Pfff, I still consider the Marathon series to be the best thing to come out of Bungie.

3. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

At this point, I have more faith in Bungie and Destiny than I have in 343i and the future of the Halo franchise. I'm still trying to work out what 343 thought they were doing when they designed the Halo 4 multiplayer and released the entire game without a public beta - the first title update will be interesting, but until then, I'm not playing it.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

So, it's a sci-fi shooter about a failing humanity (populated by Helghans?) where by you fight monsters.

They're doomed.

That's a lovely picture, but unless it's all a screen for Marathon 4 they may as well call it Generica: Bungie's last game.

I hope I'm wrong, but it's Activision, Activision doesn't do innovative or risky. Activision is the company that threatened to pull funding for Call of Duty 4 because it wasn't set in World War 2.

5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

It's a futuristic sci-fi shooter about humanity's last remaining city on earth after attempts to colnize space, where you fight aliens for the survival of the human race. Why would they be doomed? Bungie don't do anything but innovative and risky - the only game in the Halo franchise that shouldn't have been made was Halo Wars, and Bungie themselves admitted that they didn't want to make it in the first place, and that it carried very little "weight" or importance in the Halo franchise for them. It was forced on them by Microsoft and they made it work. RTS shouldn't work on a console, but Halo Wars did (I played the demo, not the whole game).

I have no doubt that Destiny will be a very innovative, edgy and fun game to play. There's no way, despite the ever growing dislike I have for Activision, that Bungie will make this game anything other than the best they can make it.

6. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It's hard to tell from one screenshot what the game is about and what 'genre' it is. Halo (the first one) was truly innovative and helped define the FPS genre on consoles. Unfortunately the rest of the Halo's didn't add anything (for me anyway). They weren't bad games, but they were just the same thing.

I really hope it's not an FPS, but if it is I hope they make it with RPG elements and 'Open World' environments. However with a big publisher behind them and a 10 year contract I am not sure they will be allowed to be too innovative. The suits at Activision will probably want an FPS along the lines of Halo.

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

"A screenshot suggests the first title in the expected series will run on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360."

They pretty much lost me right there. I thought the XBox 360 exclusivity was because of Microsoft, but apparently Bungie still cannot be arsed doing a PC version even after breaking free from them.

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

It was because of MS which is why you didn't see Halo on the PS3.

I am platform agnostic and have them all so I am not too bothered what they release it on! I need to find out what the game is first though!

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Halo Wars had nothing to do with Bungie, it was developed by Ensemble studios, who Microsoft closed down before Halo Wars was even released.

Bungie are doomed because Activision's contract gives them free reign to terminate the contract (and withhold pay) for any one of a bunch of reasons.

The one that's going to kill them is this. If Destiny doesn't sell five million copies in six months Activision can walk away, they keep the money, they keep the franchise, Bungie effectively ends right there.

Combat Evolved didn't sell that fast, neither did Dead Space, Assassin's creed, Mass Effect and Dishonored doesn't look like it will either.

Destiny won't, you can bet Microsoft will ensure it won't have the word's from the makers of Halo attached either. It's not going to bust those numbers, I can't think of any all new franchises that make those number in that space of time. New franchises don't sell as well as sequels.

Activision's going to take the game, take the money and the new franchise while Bungie will be left bankrupt. After the Infinity Ward mess Activision's contract (and escape clauses) will be water tight.