1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Buying my first motor

Discussion in 'General' started by gilljoy, 5 Apr 2013.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Hey all

I'm looking to pick up my first motor after using my parents car for the past couple of years. The problem is I have absolutely no idea what's good to pick up etc I'm not particularly into motors at all.

Ideally I'd like to spend about £10k Max and get a nice motor ideally about 1- 3 Years old. Just about to finish uni and got a grad job so I don't really want a wee banger. What all would you recommend?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

10k!!!! Jeez when you said first motor I was thinking along the lines of a fiesta or saxo lol. I dont think you could go wrong with a VW Polo/Golf. Just research insurance on potential purchases to avoid a nasty shock.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

+1 to Polo/Golf

A Focus is a respectable motor too, but it's just not quite as classy inside as a Golf, it is excellent to drive though.

Another one to look at if you're not going to be carting around big loads would be the Volvo C30, a little bit different but a good car in its own right.

4. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Admittedly read this and first thought was a polo, the blue motion million miles on a tank and super cheap tax, what's it going to be used for?

5. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

I'd choose a focus or a high spec fiesta if going for a ford (titanium x or zetec s). As said above golf is also a good choice.

6. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Lots of variables really, how many people will regularly be in the car, how many miles per year, town driving/country driving/motorway driving, want anything sporty, anything already in mind?

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

first car = new driver? get a banger so once you`ve wrecked it , your next car can be a nice one

8. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Personal experience:

Ford: Good cars, unfortunately my Focus became unreliable after a couple of years. One small electrical fault developed into several and a tank full of bad Diesel didn't help matters :rolleyes:

Renault: Modern Renault cars are considered to be good value for money. I've certainly got good value out of the two I've driven in the past 6 years, and the first one did save my life when I had the accident. They don't have a 5 star safety rating for nothing. The Diesels also get very good mileage. Mine would still be doing 60MPG if it wasn't full of tools, computers and other equipment every day, but 54 is still very respectable. What I will say though, is that they're a PITA to work on, parts are more expensive than they should be for a car of its type* (£156 for a wing mirror, £90 for a strut & mount, £100 for a wing... the list goes on) and they're a little more "plasticky" than they should be at their price point. The big thing that would put me off either of these manufacturers in the future is the optional extras. I think Ford have slightly changed their ways on this, but as far as I can see, it's still the same at Renault. If you want more than 4 wheels, a steering wheel, a couple of seats and an engine in your Renault, you have to pay a lot extra. There are several simple things on my Clio which were expensive optional extras and which would have been included on the base model from some other manufacturers. If I hadn't had gap insurance and had been going out to buy any other car after the write off, I'd probably be driving a VW now. That or a Toyota is what I would spend £10K on now.

*I think you will get this pretty much everywhere now. The spares/service department of any dealership is where a lot of the money is made these days.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2013
  9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

.....Kia....?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Gonna disagree with the OP here - you've managed to get £10k together, congratulations. Now don't squander it paying depreciation on a run-of-the-mill hatchback that will be worth jack all in another 3 or so years.

Spend £2k or so on a car that suits your fancy, then keep another £1k ready for a repair fund (chances are you won't need it, but it's worth having backup). That way you have £7k in the bank ready for other, more important things that you may want to do - that's a good start on a house deposit, a round-the-world trip, or a seriously good unemployment backup.

11. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1

I wouldn't look to spend all of that if it's your first car, get something that works and still is a level (or two) above a 'cheap' car, but leave yourself a decent chunk of that sum to spend on other things/save for the future :)

12. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Sorry guys should have been abit more clear I've been driving for around 5 years but I've not had my own car ( do have some no claims though :) ), I've been driving around in a corsa sxi.

And when I said 10k I meant the value of the car I'm most likely going to pick it up on finance and pay it off over the next year or two.

Use wise its pretty much going to be used commuting to work / going drives etc at the weekend.

So its technically my "first" car but its not the first car I'll be driving around in.

Atm I'm looking at a golf, ibiza, fiesta, corsa or a focus

13. Krikkit

My advice still stands. The immense bargains you can pick up at that end of the market are astounding, and all because it's not a hatchback on finance to keep up with the Jones'.

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Exactly I don't need a flash car or a swanky up to date motor but I don't want to pick up a dud if you get me.

15. Pookie

Pretty sound advice. I'd blow the 7k left over on hookers and booze. Then just waste the rest! ;)

16. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Cmon we're on bit tech it'd all be blown on pc parts and toys lol

17. Pookie

Yeah ok, 2k on a new rig so at least you got your gaming when the money is gone :hehe: (and a crappy car)

18. Krikkit

Having a quick look on autotrader a Fiesta ST is dropping comfortably into the 3-bags region. Reliable, great to drive and looks quite nice too. A cut above a shed, but without being too flashy and expensive. At this point you really won't lose much in depreciation, being the top of the range model it will continue to hold a premium long after the others are going to the scrap yard.

I'd be buying an Alfa GTV V6, more specifically, this one, but I'm mad.

19. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

My first rule when buying a second hand car is stay away from the big cities. I live south of Birmigham and come under that area for Auto Trader. Years ago I met nothing but dodgy characters with unbelievable yarns.

These days I would drive over to Banbury to get the Auto Trader and search that area. It is more rural with lots of rich country folk who tend to maintain there cars to a high standard.

I've bought my last few cars this way and have always been happy so far.

Of course.... also do an HPi check before comitting to buy.

20. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I still stand by a Golf, for £2k you could get a decent Mk. 4 (which I've got) but you'd probably be better off with a poky Mk. 5, much more taut handling but just as reliable.