1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying online from the USA

Discussion in 'General' started by Cyberbob:-), 20 Dec 2004.

1. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Member

Hi guy's.

I hope this is the right place to post this, couldn't think where else to put it.

Anyway, With the Exchange rate being so good for us brits at the moment, Does anybody know a good site in the USA that ships to the UK.

And if I were to get stung with import duty what % would it be?

I'm after a XPC sn95g5. About £230 over here, and while I'm at I might get a CPU and even a x800 pro to go with it... :D

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I think its more GD, although it could be hardware. I dunno, we'll see how it goes. Its not Bargain bin cause that's for bargains rather than searching for them.

3. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I don't know good online shops, but if you get the seller to mark the item as a gift with a monetary value of $1, you get charged no tax or import duty. Its a gift. But oviously the item has to BE a gift for this to be true. Depends how you define "gift" :thumb:

Also, I think if you happen to buy stuff from Florida you don't pay duty cos you've already paid sales tax on the item. But don't quote me.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Import tax - does this help?

clicky

5. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Until your $400 or so parcel gets damaged, and UPS or FedEX only give you $1 back.....

Basically look at it this way, if you can get it cheaper from the US including possible customs charges, then go for it.

6. WireFrame

Not so. Just prove current market value to them and they'll refund you the total value of the goods.

7. alpha112

alpha112 Active Member

But isnt it technically fraud?

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

not "technically". "definitely". depends on whether it bothers your conscience. if people even have one of those any more...

9. WireFrame

Yes, I guess it is "Fraud".

But then one may argue that paying 17.5 percent of the buying price to the government could be defined as "theft". It all depends on how you look at these things.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Who lets saving money bother their concience? :hehe:
    It depends on whether you get caught doing it...

11. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 New Member

If you buy something through someone already in the USA then they send it to you. No charges should apply and/or tax's.

12. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

that's exactly what i was planning on doing with a nintendo DS - get my mate's dad to pick one up in california and then have one of his business buddies to fly it over. since then i decided to save for a digital SLR though, so that £120odd quid is staying in the bank...