1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bye bye ATI?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 7 Aug 2006.

1. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Quick U-turn or false alarm? Makes no sense really to kill the ATI name and logo, too well-known.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  2. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Either way, who cares what it's called, it's the same kit with a different badge

3. fooboto

fooboto What's a Dremel?

Disappointment

Firstly, being Canadian, I am disappointed that ATi was swallowed by an American company. :wallbash:

Secondly, I think the decision to drop the ATi brand is idiotic. The ATi brand has been around since the Mach64. Why would they want to drop a respectable company brand? For non-AMD fans (like me), the video card segment may loose valuable fans/customers. :duh:

4. korhojoa

korhojoa durr

5. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

Well. Anybody who knows anything about computers knows that AMD "had" the best price per performance processor. The general public does not know this and still purchases Intel processors. AMD might have gained a little market share on them but Intel still holds the spotlight. Again, I am referring to the general public, not someone like me and you reading these forums. For example, my oldest brother recently bought 5 intel based computers for his clinic even though I told him AMD was his best price per performance.

Also, now that intel has released Dual Core 2. AMD is no longer the best price per performance. And no matter how you say it, Intel has much more market share then AMD in the past and present.

Don't believe me? Google something. Here's one.
    Again, AMD might be gaining but intel is still in the lead by a lot.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/27/technology/amd_update/index.htm

Last edited: 9 Aug 2006
  6. nemesis80

nemesis80 What's a Dremel?

Funny because, if Amd (usually seen by its fanclub as an "Anti-monopolistic" compagnie) were to "dismantle" ATI, would that make Nvidia the one and only running the graphic card market? Thus promoting some kind of monopole?

7. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Why would it mean that Nvidia has a monopoly? AMD/ATi will still make graphics cards, Matrox makes graphics cards and Itel make on board graphics and will proberly make sepperate cards in the near future.

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

im not sure if thats true now, now that AMD slashed prices (to combat conroes pwnage) AMD may still be the best price/peformance, while intel has the best performance

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

My ATi 9600SE is green...

I hope they keep the name, because its good and using the ATi name will help keep processors and graphics cards seperate. AMD procs and AMD graphics would make it difficult for non-techies to figure out what is what, and possibly what theyre actually buying. :S

10. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

There was an article on AMD price cuts on here earlier. I can't find it. But when i read it,i compared it to intel pricing at anandtech and Intel is cheaper price per performance.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

11. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

cheers for the info :)

Tags: Add Tags