1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News C&C: Generals 2 changes, goes free-to-play

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Aug 2012.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I was really looking foward to Generals 2....now I'm not so sure. F2P might as well mean you start off with a tank that you need to spend money on before it gets a .50cal or smoke launcher :p

3. AndyBradley_0255

AndyBradley_0255 What's a Dremel?

Speaking as an old school massive fan of early C&C games... EA have more or less completely ruined the C&C franchise over recent years, dont get me started on C&C4 and RA3. Im not particularly looking forward to this, although will be interesting to see how it turns out. But as XXAOSICXX stated above and knowing what EA is like, winners will probably end up being those who throw endless £££'s at the game.

4. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

...and now I'm scared of something awful.

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Shortening my TL DR post;

Many people will have already had a "winner" F2P that they sank money into; in my case, Tribes. Being EA, I bet a large group of gamers would stay F2P and never pay out of spite and being hacked off at having to use Origin.

I'm also worried they will cripple the SP and just make it a training mode for MP as with Battlefield, rather than the properly constructed campaigns we used to get. They must have looked at Activision's ability to re-re-resell maps in packs for CoD and look at that as a revenue stream alongside weapons. We'll find out next Spring. It just takes one guaranteed purchase off the list anyway, so there's only Crysis 3 to pick up in that time of year.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2012
  6. xtoxm

xtoxm What's a Dremel?

I hope the single player is as good as the last generals (and like the rest of C&C for that matter) and it doesnt just force you into online stuff. If so, it'll be ruined. Wont pre-order this as im going to wait for reviews and see some game play.

I dont mind using Origin just as i dont mind using Steam it has to be said though.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

it was all about the first Red Alert. Might have to dig it out and give my bro a thrashing at some point...

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i'm calling it now:
    -require Origin
    -CommanderLog (CnC version of Battlelog)
    -pay for General Premium to play 75% of the content
    -singleplayer with RPG elements (Bioware)
    -reduced focus on base building (CnC4)

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Oh, there is no single player either...

11. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

ai! was so excited, and now i must pay more for the same game with the free to play sticker on it. insult to injury!

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

If it has no large single player campaigns it will be the end of a era for me

13. CorePrime

CorePrime What's a Dremel?

Not what I wanted to hear. Fail.

14. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Just make a good C&C you tools :(

15. D0N

D0N What's a Dremel?

Gutted, i love C&C but i hate free to play. Id rather by a full game and have everything i need in it. Ruined this for me.
    NethLyn none of the battlefield games had a single player campaign until bad company one on
    console and bad company two on pc. The single player was just the multiplayer maps with bots before this.

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

+1, I wouldn't even waste electricity and bandwidth to download it if it gets that bad.

17. D0N

D0N What's a Dremel?

Was looking forward to this, not now. Definetly end of an era if there is no massive singleplayer campaign. Or maybe even worse if there is but it requires micro transactions to complete the bonus parts of mission.

Also battlefield never had a singleplayer campaign until bad company 2 on pc, the single player before this was just the multiplayer maps with bots.

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I never played the C & C games online, loved playing the campaigns and playing at LANs, Knowing EA, what wuyanxu said will be true, many stupid restrictions, you need to pay more than what a normal game is worth to play it properly.

However if they release it on Steam F2P and have DLC for the full single player campaigns I may be tempted. God I hate EA.

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

i'd rip c&c, but for me c&c 4 wad bad enough altrady to not bother with it.

Tags: Add Tags