1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C2- My Custom Clear Case. Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sheik, 13 Sep 2003.

1. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

Howdy all.
    I've been a lurker on these forums for quite some time and have decided to add my project log to the already outstanding list of projects.

I have been into PC modding for quite some time. I built my 386sx into a desk and it all went down hill from there :lol: (My PIII got the Black spray treatment and so did my then HUGE 17"monitor).

My last 3 mods have been fairly simple (windows, spray-paint, and some led's) I don’t have full project logs on these cases but I will be uploading the pics I do have soon.

I have been interested in getting a clear case for quite some time, but seeing that I live in the south THE FAR FAR FAR SOUTH as in South Africa, my options for clear cases have been kind of limited (there are one or two cases available locally but at a price and importing is WAY too expensive) So I decided to make my own clear case (always more fun and I know there isn’t going to be one like it at the next lan, and yes :eeek: we do have lan's in South Africa)

So for about 2 months I've been planning and re planning my case. I almost lost interest in this project unit I saw G-gnome’s Orac and WOW :jawdrop: the spark was relit and of I went to the Great Plastic store.
    R700 later (about $70) and I had in my grubby little paws the making of a Clear Case.

[​IMG]

After a little clamping and measuring and re measuring and the measuring some more the drilling started.

[​IMG]

(BTW the drill is a new addition to my workshop and was an indispensable tool for this mod and I got it new on sale for only R299 ($39) a real bargain)

I used small blocks of Perspex (20mmx20mm) into which I melted normal brass motherboard standoffs to hold my panels in place so as to form a box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I cut 2 panels to form my drive cage (as this was very much a prototype case most of the design was made up as I was building it)
    The drive bay was secured to the inside of the Perspex blocks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have almost finished this case but I still need to work out a few details,

more pics soon

Last edited: 16 Oct 2003
  2. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

lmao, tht is complete owneg. Man I will be keeping up with this project good work bro

3. Silver Talon

Silver Talon What's a Dremel?

Nice... it looks close to the one that I'm designing now. Doing all the design work in 3DSMax so that I don't screw anything up in building it (and I get all my measurements). Keep everyone posted on your progress... might get some ideas from ya on things that I can do to mine.

Silver Talon

4. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

keep up the good work

here have some pie

[​IMG]

just had to use that pic somewhere :D

5. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

Drives

Thanks folks

Ok here are some more pics.

Mounting the hard drives.
    For this i used clear perspex tubing and some long bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(the drives you see here are just some old 2 gig ones im using to get the right spacing.)

I have since found some nice Bloo HDD coolers (that are the same width as the cdroms so I wont be needing spacers anymore.

Fitting the motherboard tray (again just an old PII board to get my measurements)

[​IMG]

Good old mobo standoffs heated and screwed into a pre drilled pice of perspex

TIP!!! :idea: As genome was saying drilling into perspex/plexi can be a problem the special bits are great but if you can't get your hands on them you can also use a normal steel drill bit
    but drill it in reverse (If your drill has a reverse setting) and the bit will heat up and melt a clean and neat hole in the perspex

[​IMG]

ahhh the esential modders tool (Beer) AND a dremmel a drill some clamps and some files.

[​IMG]

6. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I'm gonna keep track of this thread. Might come in handy when i decide to build a plexi case for my stereo :naughty:

Looking good!

7. sqaulidhummer

sqaulidhummer What's a Dremel?

realy nice :eeek:

8. Dragosoft

Dragosoft What's a Dremel?

Looking very good... :thumb:

Can't wait to next update :rock:

9. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

Some More

Hi heres a small update.

I added the switch Assembly and the front panel audio and usb ports.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its kinda hard to tell but they are on the bottom of the right hand panel.

The buttons (from a old fax machine) are sunk into the perspex so you need to press them with your finger tip. This solves the problem I had with my previous mod where Phewls at lans would come up to me and go "Ohh whats this button do?" and promptly shut my PC down.

The buttons are from top to bottom
    CDRW Eject
    DVD Eject
    Reset
    Power

I also cut out the motherboard rear connectors as well as the PSU. (this is just a test fit I'm planning to custom build the PSU casing)

[​IMG]

Still need to cut the PCI and AGP card slots as well as figure out a locking mechanism for the cards (I will only have 2 cards VGA and Sound) The LAN card is just there for measurements.

More Soon!

10. Sc0rian

LMAO, mate that case is real nice.. I have the same board as u I like how u have cut out the back pannel. The pci card looks funny

11. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

Yea I know the PCI card looks funny. I bent the backing plate to fit it in the case so I could get a good idea of where to cut the slot for my sound card. (the card is a old dead network card)

12. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Hey hey a fellow South African (I lived there for 18 years) Hoozit my china :lol:

Your case looks kiff so far :thumb:

It was the beer can that made me look at where you are from ;)
    But where's the biltong man, you should be chewing on some of that whilst modding away! I really miss that stuff, especially droewors :D

13. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

Damn but modding can be a messy business. Here are some pics of my workshop.

BEFORE.
    [​IMG]

During
    [​IMG]

Hmmm I think I'm a messy modder :D

I love to FREAK my wife out by calling her into the workshop and telling her it will stay like this while we are sleeping tonight (It messes with her cleaning sub routines)

PS. theres a hint of what I'm doing with my PSU and hard drives in the messy pic.

14. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Under statement of the year!!!

LMAO.....Good work thought dude :thumb:

15. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

yeah,moddin is a messy business. I try to clean up after a mod, but sometimes a mod inprogress just requires everything to be out.

Did the "great plastics store" cut some of your stuff to size? if not how'd you get perfectly straight edges?

16. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

You're just one of a great crowd of messy modders. My problem is the shop will stay that way for awhile after the mod is done.

Could you give some more information about the mobo standoffs? You drilled the holes AND heated up the standoffs? I take it this was done to avoid having to tap the holes? If so, excellent idea. How did you heat them up and keep them hot enough for mounting them?

17. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

At least you've got a workshop... with desks...

Imagine all this, on the floor, in my bedroom, which is already small enough.

It takes a good hour of careful vacuuming to get all those little plastic shreds from the drill and dremel out of the carpet :lol:

18. Sc0rian

LMAO, yr lovely clean work shop:O

19. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Now that is some nice work there Sheik! :clap:

Looks like another project thread for me to follow...:sigh: ;)

Lol, your workshop looks a lot like mine - I'm a messy modder as well! (and my fiancee is also bit of an 'avid cleaner' to put it politely). Keep up the good work and I'm sure you'll end up with an audience around your case at LANs. Look forward to seeing where you go from here ...

:thumb: :dremel:

20. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I know what you're gonna do to the PSU. Its gonna be all orange and acrylic :p Are there more hints? Otherwise I bet you'd be beercooling the PSU ;)