1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cable fitting help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkeytennis, 7 Sep 2009.

1. monkeytennis

monkeytennis What's a Dremel?

Ok guys, I'm not scared to admit that I need some help so I appreciate any guidance you can give me. This is my first build and I don't want to do anything wrong so I'm in no rush. Let me start with components and how far I've got.
    Its an i7 920 onto a P6T Deluxe V2 with 6GB Corsair Dominator Ram, going inside an Antec 1200 (Jeez its big!) which is powered by an Antec CP850 PSU. I will be using the hard drive and optical drive from another PC for now as I havn't received my new ones yet and also I don't have an OS for it yet. The only downside is that the connectors for these are IDE (I think?) I also don't have a GPU yet as I still havn't made my mind up wether to go big now or wait for the DX11 cards, can I run it without one? Purely to test everything is working ok so far.

So anyway, this is how far I have got. I have fitted the CPU and heatsink, the Ram, mounted the MoBo and fitted the PSU. All straight foward so far. I have connected the main power lead and the smaller one at the top left of the board. Are these the only two power supplies to the board? (I am reading the manual but I am still not completely sure). I am now trying to hook up all the fans ( the heatsink fan is done) but I am unsure how to. There are two 3 pin connections on the right of the board, one for power and one for Chassis fans, but I don't have 3 pin connectors from the PSU. I can see connectors that fit the fans, but nothing to the board. Sorry if I sound a bit dense but as I said, I need help! Thankyou for any input:D.

2. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

The fan pins on the board are for plugging the fans into and not the PSU.
    If you don't have any extra fans to plug in to them then leave it.

The two leads from PSU to motherboard are the only two power leads from PSU that you need to be plugging in to the motherboard.

All the rest of the leads from the PSU will go into GPU(if needed)/HDD'S/Optical drives etc.
    after all that is in you also need to plug in the case to the motherboard, PWR / RST etc...
    There is a guide for what goes where in the manual.
    Here it is :D
    [​IMG]

Any questions, just ask.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

So basicly you're looking for a connector on the PSU that go to the fan headers on the motherboard? That's not how it works mate :D

4. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

The three pin fan header labled PSU on the motherboard works for any fan. I think its labeled PSU with the intention that the fan from your power supply plugs in there, however i've never seen a PSU that supports this...

i've always plugged in my chassis fans there.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2009
  5. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Monkeytennis,

you must read the manual belonging to the supply unit!! there it's given which wire:
    - goes to which component( 2 for motherboard, one for each HDD, SSD, Optical, two for graphic card (if you buy a decent one))
    - after this you open the motherboard manual and check where to plug this two wires (you can't make anything wrong; it's even printed on the motherboard).

After all this you make the same with the components.
    The stock Intel ventilator gets it's power from the motherboard.
    Each component has instructions; locate the power (and data transmission connection-if it's not a ventilator).

Did you apply the that paste between processor and cooler? not too much? you don't want to fry!

6. monkeytennis

Ok guys, thanks for the replies so far. The main problem I have is that I am unsure how to connect up all the fans. There are 6 in total. For example, there are three at the front but do they get a seperate power supply each or all off the same one? Or does it even matter? I know they have seperate speed settings but am unsure if that also means they need seperate power supplies ( please remember it is my first build). What confuses me is the rather large connectors from the fans and the tiny ones on the MoBo. It doesn't make sense to me, even though it is probably straight foward when explained.

As for the thermal paste, I may be wrong but it looked like there was already some on the stock cooler?

7. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

They have here a very nice 4 page explanation what's regarding thermal pastes!! with pictures!!!
    The matter is, that that stock thing transfers heat 3 times worse than a better product; it's true however, that they are all really bad, therefore you must make a really thin application.

The stock thing is good.

Won't you consider a better cooler for such a monster??

8. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

9. monkeytennis

I will be getting the Corsair H50 but I just wanted to fit the stock heatsink for now so that I can check it all works so far. As I said, the main problem is wiring up the fans. I assumed that they must connect to the MoBo and get their power that way rather than straight from the PSU?
    The connectors from the fans fit the connectors from the PSU but nothing to the MoBo, same with the PSU fan. I'm confused.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Wait, do your fan connectors look like this or like this? Maybe you have Molex fans.

11. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

ok, i think i understand what you mean now :)

the big rectangular four pin connectors from the fans are molex connectors that connect straight to the power supply. As fans are low power, these can be chained together an plugged into a single molex connector from the power supply.

molex connector:
    [​IMG]

if fans have smaller, three pin connectors then these connect to the motherboard

3-pin fan header:
    [​IMG]
    ^appologies for the waterprint... :p

Is that what you were asking?

12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh wow, i ninja'd someone again. Two in one night.

monkeytennis likes this.
  13. monkeytennis

Yes! Thankyou DragunovHUN and thankyou Gryphon! they are the Molex connectors. As a complete novice, I assumed that the fans HAD to be plugged into the MoBo. I was more worried about the PSU fan not being connected to the MoBo and having problems. I will now connect them straight to the PSU. Cheers guys:thumb:

As for the thermal paste. Do you know if it is already applied to the heatsink? It looked like it was even though it was in three parts?

14. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

good going there DragunovHUN :p

I got the better explanation ;) :lol:

Edit: no probs monkeytennis, and yes, that was thermal paste. it's not amazing stuff on the stock cooler, but its more than adequate. especially if your going to get the corsair H5O on there soon :)

Last edited: 7 Sep 2009
    monkeytennis likes this.
  15. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Yes, but then he will have to buy a tube of Arctic for 3 pounds!!

16. monkeytennis

I was hoping to fire it up tonight and I powered down this ancient beast so that I could use this monitor as I haven't quite decided on a monitor or monitors yet (that's a question for tomorrow maybe), and then I realised there is no output on the back and I haven't got a GPU yet. I have an aging FX5500 but It doesn't look like it will fit (not sure what PCI slot it is but it doesn't look like PCIe's on the MoBo?

17. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

That has an AGP slot (I doubt that such a modern motherboard has one-outdated).

18. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Dell U2410 or HP LP2475w.
    Monitors.
    Buying a good monior is the most impotant thing, since it's your interaction medium with the PC, you'll spend many hours looking at the image that it produces and a deep vibrant picture (from your camera) will look awesome. :)

19. monkeytennis

So I'm screwed if I don't get a GPU now then. It will either be a 4890 or a 4850x2 for now, maybe, or a 275. As for the monitor I was set on getting the IIlyama Prolite 24" as I want it to be full HD. Then I saw a 1080p 23" somewhere for half the price and thought about getting two. Still not sure. I want to be able to play high end games and watch BluRay mainly.

20. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

Expansion Slots
    PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (at x16/x16/x1 or x16/x8/x8 mode)
    PCI Express x1 1
    PCI Slots 2

as you can see, these are the only openings in which you can push things (no AGP).