1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Cables ........

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bugeye, 9 Jan 2012.

1. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Not posted in this bit before ... so hello :)

As part of my Rebox project , log here , I need to make up some cables .

I need to make the same sort of cable as the Lamptron switch connection cable ....

[​IMG]

I was looking at buying them or having them made up but it seems to me they should be pretty easy to make myself . I was about to start Goggling but then I thought ask in here :idea:

So what do I need to make these cables ....

I know I need some sort of insulated female spade connector and the motherboard header plugs but what are the plugs actually called and what sort of crimping tool do I need to attach them to the cable , you could even tell me what sort of cable I need ;)

TIA :)

2. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
  3. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

4. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

how many of them do you need?
    they sometimes have them on motherboard cables or some usb cables!

I can have a look tomorrow and see if i have any in the office! :)

5. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

That's where I've got them from in the past .... old pc's at work :)

But I need to make 20 cables so 40 2 way fittings or 80 1 way ......

6. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You can also get them from MDPC-X but shipping could be expensive depending on what else you buy.

Could you let me know if those spade connectors are the right size please? The ones I got were too wide.

8. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks Shuttle' one more google from there gets me here just need to check with them about what of crimp pin thingy I need :)

Do you know what size the ones you got were ?

9. Big Elf

They were from Maplins and I think they were 4.8mm. The width of the spades on my Power Switch is about 2.8mm and on the reset switch about 1.8mm.

10. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So I've just checked a Lamptron cable and the spade connectors were about 3mm so I think they must be 2.8mm connectors like these . I'll ring Mouser Electronics and see if they do them . Just the cable to figure out now :)

11. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

check kustom pcs as i said.. they sell it and then just shrink wrap it

12. Big Elf

I'm planning on using 24AWG Fan wire like this

13. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

I think I've found a suitable cable .... here .... 4 core 24 AWG :) be better if I could find a 50m roll though .

Shuttle' ... I did look at the cable you linked , the problem is the cost with the heat shrink it works out at £3.20 per meter for 4 cores , plus heat shrink makes the cable a bit inflexible . Buying the right spec wire from RS or similar 65p per meter ... :)

14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

ahh i see what you mean!!

15. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thought you might :)

Anyway .. I've tracked down all the bits ( I hope ) . I'll post the links for anyone who's interested when I've got them and confirmed they are correct .

:)

16. Big Elf

bugeye - Those spade terminals you linked to are the right ones. A tight fit on the Power Switch and a good fit on the Reset Switch. Thanks for that.

If you want the connection pins crimping onto the cables you could post them to me and I'll be happy to do it. I'll need a couple of spare pins for practice and a couple in case I get one or two wrong. Saves you buying a crimping tool but you'll get a professional finish and they won't come off.

17. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

That's good Big Elf :) ..... funnily enough they are to big for my switches :waah: looks like I'm going to have to warm up the soldering iron ( pun intended :lol: ) and do this lot the hard way :wallbash:

Thanks very much for your kind offer but I followed your link to MDPC , came over all enthusiastic and ordered the crimping things and some sleeving , so that should be a fun evening in front of the telly :dremel:

I've also got my pins and housings from Mouser Elec' . Very easy to order from even though they are in the States . The pricing on the website includes VAT and they pay the import duty plus free delivery for orders over £50 and I got my order within 2 days :)

18. Big Elf

That's unusual, I've got a Lamptron Power Switch and a Phobya Reset Switch.

You'll love the crimping tool, it's a work of art as well as functional. His guide to its use that he'll have emailed to you is very helpful.

If you've not seen it then Lutro0's Sleeving Guide is excellent.

I'll have to try Mouser.com as there's a few things I haven't been able to find including male fan pins and some molex connectors.

19. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thats the thing , my switches aren't Lamptron . I thought that the fitting on the Lamptron switches were solder tags and the 2.8m connectors 'happened' to fit them well . Seems I was wrong :blush: my switches have solder tags and they are a touch smaller so the connectors don't quite fit ..... ho hum .

Had a quick look at the guide you linked .... looks good and I'll give it a proper look when I get a chance :)