1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 22 Jul 2011.

1. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

CoD has become stale tbh, they do very little to move things forward, i think alot of people have got the same idea now and are eagerly awaiting BF3.
    i sincerely hope MW3 flops.

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

I just hope we don't get the lonewolfs style game play pushed into the BF3 crowd from a mass of COD Players who know nothing better!

3. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

The way I see it, this will probably sell well on consoles. I also see it selling fairly well on PC aswell. Mainly due to a lot of people who won't be able to run BF3 on PC.
    What irks me is that despite having lower sales than previous titles, this probably won't change the direction of the CoD franchise.
    We don't need a CoD every year with extra content released in dribs and drabs at a high price point. We need a DAMN GOOD game that may have us hooked into multiplayer for longer than that. Who knows, if it was good enough of a game I would actually consider buying some DLC for it.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I'm starting to realise that it isn't just COD I'm bored of, but its the endless release of FPS thata also part of the problem. Each with the same "safe" tried and tested formula with regenerating health, linear paths and cliche plots. I don't care about WW2 or this years take on it or zombie dogs. I want proper stealth shooter (hitman 5 should do that nicely) and a decent story (half life story needs finished).

6. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Shrug. I've played COD MW and MW2 so I feel like I've already played this before it's even released.

7. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

i find it amazing that so many people have been to the future and played the final release of MW3 both in multiplayer and in single since they all seem to know EXACTLY that every single part of it is a steaming pile of ****. I myself dont live in a fantasy world and will not pass judgement on something ive never tried....

Ieeehaaaa lets round up the mob and jump on the bash call of duty train!!!! NOT!

ps

its always the same before a new call of duty release, everybody knows that the game sucks but somehow it seems to sell more copies than just about any other game out there. Could it be that the wast majority of people just wants to have some fast action fun and dont give a flying f*** about the so called leet crowds nitpicking demands. Just a thought but that might just be the case. And also why spend so much energy ranting about a game you dont like? why not just play the ones you do like and ignore the rest?

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  8. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Not all people are saying it's going to be a steaming pile of **** really, just that it will be the same stuff rehashed that follows the same formula (for some, that will be more then enough). I actually think it's fair and safe to pass judgement on a MW game before release as things stand and this preview from those that have had some hands on experience just backs that up.

As an MP man that enjoys community content, I'm not interested in a rehash unless it provides Dedicated servers (that you can chose your server company) and modding tools. Sure BF3 will not have any of this either, but at least it seems to be something new in it's own right.

9. timevans999

timevans999 old modders friend

It all depends on the coop side as it wont be as good as an rpg for single or multiplayer, if it does have full coop then it should be good.
    You maybe have noticed in the last modern warfare the coop was serverly limited. Put it this way im not holding my breath.........ah

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I won't be buying it. Having bought and played mw & mw2, I think its extremely overpriced, little content, little innovation and game updates/ add-ons passed off as new games. I gave them the benefit of the doubt with mw2 but I'm not getting done again. There's a reason Activision/ cod is getting so much stick, I think its mainly down to them not listening to their customers and being overly expensive compared to similar products.

11. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

been watching BF3 videos on youtube of the alpha that has recently been let out the bag. Looks soooo much better than MW2(3).
    I still think a lot of people will buy MW3, especially the consoles, but thats probably because they never bought a battlefield game and dont know how much better it is.

12. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Well I'm really looking forward to this. While short and linear, I think both MW and MW2 single players were brilliantly paced, engrossing and addictive. I'd much rather pay £35 for a day of utter immersion than a fortnight slogging away at pretty much any other game I've played for a long time. And that's not the mention the multiplayer, which I rate pretty highly.

Maybe it's a sign of me not playing games so much nowadays, but personally I think the series so far has been excellently judged.

13. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I'm disappointed in the latest iterations of COD for reasons other than the cited rehash of old gameplay.

The single player plot may be ridiculous, linear and not particularly innovative but I generally find them to be well produced, bombastic and good fun.

I find the multiplayer good for a casual blast; though the myriad of novelty explosive weapons and the verbal diarrhoea that a lot of players spout can be pretty grating at times.

Additionally I've never quite understood the general hate that aficionados of the series have fo Treyarch... I haven't played all their iterations of COD but I really liked WaW and BLOPS isn't too bad...

I'm more disappointed with the general disregard that Activision seem to have to the community, though I suppose it depends on how you define the community... blatantly the target audience for these sorts of games is no longer the slightly nerdier, possibly older PC gamer.

With MW2 it was the lack of dedicated servers, BLOPS with the myriad of bugs at launch and with the latest iteration it's COD elite drawing the flames.

I completely understand games are made primarily to make money and I support this, but I don't support the frankly aggressive way Activision are going about this with multiple (bad value?) DLC packs, the content of which would have probably been free a few years ago and released for the goodwill of the community.

Call me cynical but I feel that COD elite is yet another way to monetise the franchise and segregate the players for marketing and data mining purposes. Everyone wants to get onto the social networking bandwagon and frankly I'm tired with having to sign up and log into yet another social network/gaming portal to unlock all the functionality of my purchases.

I guess I just have to accept that these games aren't really made for my (our?) demographic anymore.

I know we can all vote with our feet and choose to avoid the franchise altogether, but I can't help but feel the it could be so much more if it was done the *right* way, rather than the greedy way.

14. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

I thought this preview is probably going to be quite accurate of the game ; MW3 is just literally more of the same and if you think about how linear it really is; it is all the action scenes and its fast pace that it has going for it.

Im not really sure about its depth however.

I have always been a fan of the battlefield series mainly because its not your typical corridor shooter and it opens up so many different styles of play and paths to take.

That is why I think Overall battlefield is the better experience because its not just about close quarter combats but a mixture of it all open and closed depending on your choice.

The Frostbite 2 engine looks like a big step up, the videos I have seen seem to show how powerful it is and personally I will grab Battlefield 3 for sure however MW3 is only going to be a buy if its for £26 like Mw2 was on release...we shall see...but theres no way im paying £40+ for it.

15. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

What amuses me is people will accept that it is more an expansion then new game and that is ok, and if it sells why not. Yet when R6: Vegas 2 was released (you could reload in that by getting guns off bad guys you knows :) ) it got poor reviews for being more of the same.

16. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

TBF, I have also always felt CoD has excellent gunplay and mechanics. Shooting people just feels right. But they had that nailed years ago. Hence why the singeplayer is usually enjoyable, but once it is over, all you have experienced is a long corridor made up of mostly explosions and set pieces. I would never want to play it again, that's for sure. It's very similar to the problem that people had with Crysis 2. It wasn't a bad game by any means, it was functional, worked, and shooting people was still fun. But it lost something from Crysis, and I now fully expect to never play it again.

Some people love the multiplayer, but anyone that plays CoD who tells me they are so hardcore at it and amazing at FPS because of it, I just can't take them seriously. With all the dumb mechanics, novelty explosives, and stupidly OTT killstreaks, not to mention ridiculous knife lunge (with instant kill regardless of where you are stabbing them), I just really can't consider it a competitive game at all. You join a team deathmatch and it is just people running around, doing their own thing, racing to the most OP killstreak they have, blowing the **** out of everything, and then moving on. I have no doubt CoD gets you some sickening reaction speeds after a lot of practice, but it is good for nothing else when it comes to FPS skill. Pass.

For these reasons, when I look at MW3 and the chances of buying it, I have to weigh up a 6 hour campaign, that, while fun, will be largely forgettable and shallow, against whatever price they are asking. And I know for a fact it is going to be way too high.

My money is without a doubt going to Dice.

17. Wazza

Wazza What's a Dremel?

MW3-> Epic Fail.....

18. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

I cant wait til BF3 spanks this peice of ****

19. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Don't be so cynical. It also features a ton of other PC-exclusive features, like a Win32 exe and ability to create a desktop shortcut to said exe! (Note: it is unknown at this time if the desktop shortcut is balanced for lean.)

20. briinthesky

briinthesky What's a Dremel?

COD is what it is a very good game which the competition have been trying to emulate for years !
    with all the turmoil between activision and infinity ward we should be happy that we have had Black ops and now MW3 which by the sound of the review will be as good as the others if not better.
    Myself I have ordered it already and look forward to it being great as I do for Battlefield which i have also ordered. I would be happy to have another crack at ww2 as long as it was well done.
    I hope both camps continue to up the ante so we the gamer keep getting our FPS fix !
    And I still play MW and MW2 and have no problem finding servers !

Tags: Add Tags