1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a CPU burn a motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raven, 27 Feb 2003.

1. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

I thought this would be the best place to post this, but if it isn't please feel free to move...

My question is can a "thought to be" defective processor, burn a "known to be" good motherboard? But more importantly How would it do this?

What happened is this, my friend had a 1.3 Duron, that he thougth was flacky, he wasn't sure if it was the processor or the motherboard. The reason was that the board would power up, ie; the fans would spin, but the unit would not even post.

After a long discussion we thought it was the processor that was the problem. So I agreed to test this processor in my Epox 8KHA+ motherboard. If it didn't post, then we'd know it was the processor, if it did then it was sure that the motherboard was the problem.

I take out my Athlon 1700, from my Epox and then I put in the processor. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Epox board, it has a diagnostic board built in. So I look at the numbers changing as the board does it's thing... then I hear a small "POP" and the whole thing goes dead.

Now I can't power-on the board, the fans won't even spin and this is with the old processor in it's place?

My thinking is that the processor burnt the board, but after having a group discussion this morning none of us can figure out how it would happen? How can a processor burn out a board?

thx...

2. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeah its perfectly possible.

3. quack

quack Minimodder

Get a short circuit inside the chip, and it can send current to place where it shouldn't go on the board. I suppose this could just fry some of the traces on the motherboard and completely kill it.

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Yeha it happened to me :waah:

5. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

:waah: My sentiments exactly :waah:

But as we modder say, time to upgrade... off to the store...

If the CPU is dead then why would it be sending pulses...

6. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

Simply to spite you.

Processors just want to lash out at humans for all the torturous heat we put them through! :D

7. Raven

Raven What's a Dremel?

LOL, I usually get that feeling when a part get's smoked...

So any recommendations on a replacement board?

My avail parts are an Athlon 1700 and 512MB DDR and a Radeo 7500 (just bought a month ago) ...

I was thinking of going with an Asus, proly a ASUS A7V333 VIA KT333, or maybe upin to the KT400 chipset.

Anyone know of a good Abit board?

This unit will be used mostly for gaming...

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

have you seen some of toms hardware TNG videos ?? one o fthe AMDs actually sets on fire :) thatll certainly burn it :)

anbit nf7-s is pretty damn sweet :)

9. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

what I want to know is...is the friend paying :D