1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a processor kill a motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ConKbot of Doom, 6 Jun 2007.

1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I recently built 2 systems with the Abit FP-IN9 motherboard, one with a C2D E6420, and one with a C2D E6600, well I ordered the 6420 system first, and it didnt boot, I suspected the RAM so I RMAed that. But while that was off on RMA, my own computer died, so I got the second FP-IN9 and the E6600. It all worked fine till I got the RAM back from the RMA.

Well, I put the ram in my dads machine, and still no boot. I put my 6800GT from my 'big blue child eater' into it, and still no boot. So I had it narrowed down to processor/motherboard. I swapped the processors in the machines, so my dad's had the E6600 in it and mine had the E6420 in it. I tried to boot mine, and it didnt boot... :sigh: ok, bad processor... I tried to boot my dads... nothing... ok dead motherboard... :sigh:

Then I put my processor back into my computer, and it doesnt wanna boot anymore... even after a cmos reset. Killer motherboard :miffed:

So as of now, I have my processor, and my dads processor and motherboard getting ready to be RMA'ed, but should I RMA my motherboard too? Can a processor kill a motherboard?

I wouldnt think that a processor could kill a motherboard, the worst I could imagine it doing is shorting the power supply for the processor, which would hopefully just trip the current limiting in the buck controller (hopefully something as advanced as a CPU power supply would have OC protection...)

Oh and real experiences would be appreciated, I.E "Ive worked in IT for xx years and have to see a processor kill a known good mobo", or "yes, happened to me" I can speculate all I want as it is, no point in speculating even more. :(

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

In my three years in the industry (Puget Custom Computers), I've seen killer RAM (shorted out Intel memory controllers) and a killer video card (killed the PCI-express controller), so the thought of a killer CPU doesn't strike me as being too far-fetched. I've never seen it happen myself, though.

3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I've never had it happen myself but have had other people tell me about CPUs that have blown boards before. It seems rare, but it's not impossible.

Try giving everything in your computer a good clean and reseat all cables, cards etc. before you think about sending it off though. It's surprising how often you can knock something out of place and attribute the subsequent problem to whatever you were changing without noticing that some card or plug is a millimetre out of place.

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

depends if there is motive. otherwise, i just dont think a cpu is capable of murder

5. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

It happened to me last summer:

AMD Duron possibly broke,
    put Duron into working Athlon computer
    no worky
    Duron back to original motherboard
    Athlon back to original motherboard
    both no worky

I assume the Duron somehow managed to kill both motherboards, the Athlon still works. Lucky they were both old computers!

6. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I actually had an X6800 that was doing this.

fried 2 A1 rev EVGA 680i boards before I thought of checking the processor. then stuck it in a spare 1.00G striker (that was a useless OC and spare for testing) and that no longer worked. so yes killer procs do exist, but are damn rare. it does make a snazzy $700 paperweight though (was bought on a compUSA clearance sale, for future use)

7. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Anything can kill anything.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ok so far in this thread there have been two intel C2D chips that 'may' have killed motherboards.

However from what i understand is the following

You purchased the Abit FP-IN9 and C2D 6420 with ram

System failed to boot so you RMA'd the suspect RAM

You then purchased Another FP-IN9 and C2D 6600 with ram

System boots fine and works

Then you stick the RMA'd ram in it and it dies?

if that is correct then it sounds like the RAM killed the board then the board may have killed both chip upon testing...

I havent seen a CPU kill a board but i have had a gigabyte SKT A board kill an Athlon 2500+, and my friends blown 2500+ kill a DFI ultra NF2 board.

Hope i helped.

9. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Fixed... I guess I'll put the new motherboard and processor into my system, and new processor and old mobo into my dads... That way if it doesnt work, he's stuck waiting not me :hehe: