1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Can a pump still read as full rpm if it's not spinning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 9 Aug 2023.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Gamera Nexus are the ones who crowd funded a fan tester and didn't use it. LTT's testing is beginning to be integrated in to their videos though and its looking great.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well it seems that their efforts were basically to make every one else irrelevant. If they simply bought the machine? they would be experts. Sadly they haven't figured out how to actually use it, so other than the boasting nothing has come of it. I would imagine though, that their bravado has already achieved what they wanted and thus why actually have to put in work to figure it out? More subs, who now fully believe they know what they are talking about before trying to sell rubber mats and crap.

Now as for Linus? the only video I have seen where he used any sort of machine to test things was when he showed what a PC would behave like in the North pole? was it? IE, again a load of useless utter crap. In fact, I would imagine that GN's boasting and epeen about being the gods of testing was what pushed him into buying the same toys in the first place. Mostly so that people would too think he knows what he is talking about and or doing.

I don't expect too much. However, it would be nice if once a year they could actually buy up one of each fan available in ALL price brackets (IE affordable and not just what they are pushing through sponsorships) and do a group test. It would be a lot of work, but hey it is once a year right? can't be much harder than dumb stuff like secret shopper, where they basically buy computers no one should buy any of, let alone a big stack of.

But that is the problem isn't it? everything now is hyperbole and useless nonsense designed to get people watching. Who cares if the actual content is rubbish?

BTW I looked up the prices for the Noctuas that look very similar. £30 each. As there is no way to actually know how they compare (because of all I said above) I will STILL stick my neck out and say that there is no way the Noctuas will be over 3X better, given they are over 3x the price. That feat is all but impossible.

I never used to mind paying good prices for good things. The problem now is there are very few good things. Just lots of monkeys with asses glued to them so they can break the records on asking prices for all of the tat they bolt on. Which to me? is why Thermalright are totally a breath of fresh air. Sadly though, AGAIN, there are no reviews. Maybe a tiny handful of amateurs who just bought it because it was cheap and threw a video together, and I know in the case of the air cooler GN have coveted one, but that is one. Thermalright do a metric ton of products and options but clearly they are not paying influencer boys to influence.

That all said? I know from the first time they appeared that they make good stuff. The Macho and so on are quite legendary IMO. And the quality doesn't seem to be any worse but the prices are now WAY lower.

3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Are they the TL-B12 extrem?

If so, there's a scathing review on Igor's lab. Admittedly they only had 2 fans to test, but build quality on both was poor. The rotor was off centre on both, which resulted in the fan blades catching the surround at higher speeds, gouging the frame and causing an audible ticking.

If that's just an early manufacturing defect, and has been rectified, they look quite promising, especially at that price.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Oops, got it wrong. I confused Thermalright with Thermaltake.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2023
  5. Vault-Tec

not the extreme no.

6. Vault-Tec

Are you confusing Thermalright with Thermaltake?

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Oops, yes

8. Vault-Tec

Ok so thanks for the link VB.

It seems these fans are made by a company called Speedy, who also make EKs Vardars.

Over 3000 RPM is stupid though IMO. Hence why I bought the much slower ones.

Elf. No worries man. I’m a Take hater too :D

VictorianBloke likes this.
  9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have a core V1, its my favourite case I own :(

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

IIRC Thermalright is owned by one of Taiwan's megacorps and serves mainly as a demonstrator to help them get OEM contracts. They aren't especially interested in selling huge amounts of Thermalright product, just proving that they can make good products for anyone who's interested.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Well this thing is a beast both in size and performance, I'm playing bf2042 in a warm house and it hasn't broken 50c yet, my AIO sat around 65c.

Pretty much silent doing it too.

VictorianBloke and Vault-Tec like this.
  12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Thank you @fix-the-spade for steering me to the Thermalright, I would have gone for the pure otherwise.

...and also thank you to everyone else that helped too.