1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features Can Cyberpunk 2077 finally drag immersive sims into the mainstream?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 31 Jan 2020.

1. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

If CDPR want to claim an entire genre name for themselves because they named a game after it, they can #f$£& right off. The genre name predates even the TRPG the videogame is based on.

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

No one suggested any such thing?

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Anfield's right. All we talked about was our suspicion that we might get 'treated' to A LOT of cyberpunk-themed (a)RPG games, many if not most cheap cash grabs on the back of the Cyberpunk 2077 hype.

4. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

It's got Keanu Reeves in it, and he is helping with publicity. That's more advertising power than those franchises combined. Lots of movie and regular run of the mill magazines reported on the game after the announcement. The hype will not subside, that's why they know they have to get it right.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Shows how much attention I've paid to the hype, I guess. :lol:

But impact? I dunno. In 2017, the US film industry was worth $43bn while the US gaming industry was worth $18bn. Clear US figures for 2019 I'm finding harder to find. In 2019 estimates are upwards of $120bn for games worldwide while the film industry I can only find 2018 for - $42bn for box office, estimates of $140bn for "everything".

Select games are now pulling in as much - or more - money than some box office blockbusters.

So I'm not really sold that that will have as big an impact as you imply.

Of course, time will tell, and I'll happily admit I'm wrong if Cyberpunk sales are more than the best selling Call of Duty or FIFA. :)

Tags: Add Tags