1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can i Overclock my machine?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sord_Fish, 21 Nov 2003.

1. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish What's a Dremel?

Mobo - Matsonic MS8308E
    gfx - geforce2 mmx400
    memory - 256mb
    cpu - amd xp 1700+

CPU-Z stats
    [​IMG]

Super PI results
    [​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

You can probably overclock with that mobo, that would depend on your RAM. It's not worth overclocking that CPU really - it's multiplier locked, unless you've unlocked it; and they generally don't get much past 150MZ FSB... You can try though

3. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Most any machine can be overclocked. I'm not familiar with Matsonic boards so I don't know what kind of options you have in your bios for front side bus and stuff. But I can tell you that you shouldn't expect to get the incredible results that you see on the web for 1700+s. Your's, like the one that I have in my 2nd pc, is a Palomino core. What does that mean? Your mulitpliers are locked and it's gonna run hot. If you want to change your multis you'll probably need to do the "wire trick" to connect the appropriate pins. There are some guides out there on how to do that. Search google.

The 1700+'s that you see that get incredible overclocks are thoroughbreds. People are getting ungodly overclocks on some of those.

The best I have done with mine is bump the FSB up to 140 and run it as an 1800+. But that is on a crappy ECS motherboard that has no overclocking options.

Good luck. Post us some results. :thumb: