1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Can I wire my LCD directly to molex?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Plodder, 17 Apr 2012.

1. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Apparently each 12v wire is rated at 25 watts, so 75 watts for pci-e 6 pin and 150 watts for pci-e 8 pin. Not sure how that works as 8 pin only has 2 extra grounds, maybe they just use heavier gauge wires in the 8 pin, which leads me to belive the inside of the psu where they plug in must be able to handle more than 25 watts per 12v wire.
    Actually just looked again and the Pci-e connecter is 8 pin at psu end and 6 + 2 on pci-e end.
    Anyway to be safe ive decided to use 2 of the 12v and 2 of the grounds.
    1 last question and then i shall be quiet :)
    Should i twist the ends of the 2 12v together first and then solder them to the posative pin on the barrel connecter, or just solder them on individually and same with the grounds of course.

Really appreciate you help mate, i feel much more confident about it already since opening this thread :thumb:

2. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Hmm i missed that suggestion. Prob is i cant see anywhere i could put it. The barrel connecter socket on the monitor is soldered directly to the power board and i would have no idea where or how to fit a fuse into the equation :confused: I wish i did though seens as its only 23 pence :hehe:

3. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

put it on the 12v line before the connector to the screen mate.

Plodder likes this.
  4. Deders

Deders Modder

I think you'll find that he ATX spec calls for 18awg for most of it's wires, and 16awg for the 6/8 pin PCIe plugs.

If you look it up on this table (under Chassis wiring), you'll find that you have plenty of headroom.

Using the calculations on this page you'll see that even the thinner 18awg wires are capable of handling 192W, which is completely irrelevant because it's the Amps that gets the wires hot and break.

Plodder likes this.
  5. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

So to sum up, does this mean i can use just 1 12v wire and 1 ground and just put the inline fuse on the 12v and i should be fine ? And my psu would be fine with that also ? Just to remind you psu is xfx 750w pro xxx and my hardware is crap so i am aboslutley nowhere near the limit of my psu.

6. improprietary

take pictures! :D

7. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

I will be starting my build log in a few weeks, just need bit more money for some materials and then the you will see what i'm up to :)

8. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

If this is the case for the ATX spec then you'll be fine. You could connect the two grounds the solder to the LCD ground but really one ground will be enough for your needs. I wouldn't worry about the second ground and i'd solder in the fuse on the +12V, that way the fuse will go instead of your PSU or LCD. I assume you'd have to make a cut on the LCD or the PCI-E connection when your wiring it in.

If your ever unsure of anything test with a multimeter, it's worth the investment when doing this sort of work and like Improprietary said, pictures always help.

9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The power adaptor for the LCD should say on it somewhere what the output current is, so you can check if your PSU can handle it.

10. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

There's one aspect that I didn't see any explicit info on in your first post. And that's the output of the monitor's external power supply, is it 12v direct or alternative current?

Most power supplies output direct current, but from time to time you can stumble upon an alternative one. If that's the case, all the advices above are null.

11. improprietary

Not the one about the fuse :naughty:

12. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

True. I stand corrected.

13. Plodder

Plodder What's a Dremel?

Thx again mate, yea thx to you and the others i now know exactly how i will do it. I shall be investing in a multimeter its on my list of tools :)

Thats already covered no problems there.

It is dc output, sorry i omited that info.

:clap:

Dishing out some rep for all the help i recieved in this thread. Cheers guys

14. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

Will be interested in the seeing the finished project.