1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Can someone tell me what they think of this WC setup? (noob here)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by retrogamer, 6 Jun 2005.

1. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

CPU Style: RBX AMD64 754/939/940
    CPU Base Material: Copper
    Top Style: Lucite - Clear
    Video Card Water Block: *NEW* Acetal MAZE4 GPU (except AIW and 6800)
    Chipset Water Block: None
    Fitting Size: 1/2 OD Fitting for 1/2 ID Tubing
    Radiator: Black Ice Xtreme - Chrome
    Fans: Evercool Chrome 120mm w/4-pin molex
    Peltier/TEC: None
    Pumps: Eheim 1250 with 1/2 Adaptors
    Tubing: 7 Feet of Tygon
    Reservoir: Single 5 1/4 Bay Reservoir
    Thermal Paste: None
    Water Additives: 4oz Zerex Super Coolant
    Hold Down Style: Standard Stainless Steel Hold Down
    Danger Den Fillport: Clear Anodized Fillport
    Misc: 12 Hose Clamps Y & T

'do it yourself' style thing on dangerden.com comes to the total of about $320 which is about £175, seems good to me :) I just wanna get some opinions on it.

cheers
    retro

EDIT: actually tbh if I do get myself this kind of basic thing ill probably go for a maze 4 cpu block, the rbx/tdx look crap :p (just imo ;))

Last edited: 6 Jun 2005
  2. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

are u sure you want a bayres and a fill port? you usaly have either as they do the same job.

and i would suggest a TDX rather than a RBX and set if accelerator nozzels :)

P.s everthing in that list can be bought from over-clock.co.uk or coolercases.co.uk, which is easier to hand and u dont need to pay tax duty. which will be about £40, well it was when i got stuff from danger den.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True, always buy local if possible. There really is little price difference, especially after taking import duties into account.

The Maze4 CPU block is not quite as efficient as a TDX or RBX.

I'd also look into a 12V pump. Something like the Swiftech MCP650 (or its D-Tek Customs counterpart), or the Laing DCC, or if you really want the juice and don't mind a bit of noise, the Laing D4. If you want to go with an Eheim, You don't really need the power of an Eheim 1250 --an Eheim 1048 will do just as well.

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

As Nexxo said, the TDX will offer better performance than the Maze4. I personally don't like the RBX due to all the mess with the Y fitting. A 12V pump would be much easier, If you go for an Eheim bear in mind you will have to buy/ make your own relay if you want it to start when the computer does.

5. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

he doesnt have to get the D4. The new D5 is much better than the older version. Looks good except it seems you dont have a Shourd for your Radiator. A shourd should decrease the overall noise and will increase the performance of your radiator by elimenating the dead zone behind the fan's hub. You only need one piont of filling not two. Personally i would just go with the fill port as it takes up less room as a res but it takes much longer for the system to completely bleed.

6. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

I got a 1250 with 1/2 barbs for sale on the forums bud,i did have a relay card also but look`s like it`s been sold.

7. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

also, you need some thermal interface material. Arctic Silver 5 is probably the best.

8. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

All looks good to me, chrome for teh w1n.

I've got a DD Bay Res for sale here, unused too if you want it?

Also TDX and Aqx50z (ace pump)

9. kaotic504

kaotic504 What's a Dremel?

everything looks good, you can get a special deal at DangerDen for a TDX and a D5 for $108! that's a pretty good deal. i would go with that, i like the Chrome BIX idea, but is anyone going to really see it? some people hide their rads anyway, but you'll probably show yours off, so that's cool as well. i just ordered 2 MAG's so i'll let you know how those perform. i was REALLY going to get the new AquaExtreme 50z-T w/ the Treaded barbs and put on 3/8" quick connects, but that doesn't come out for another couple of days and I couldn't wait. i got 2 MAG's instead at DTek w/ their 10% off $100 sale. personally, i didn't know which one i wanted of the 2. both of them don't dump that much heat into the loop and give pretty good flow rates and have adjustable barbs. when i look to get a pump, my main concerns are flow rates, adjustable barbs, ac OR dc, and size (in that order), but that's just me. i like the look of using quick connects, that's why i like adjustable barbs. i don't want people seeing my clamps. but i really like the GPU block choice, and everything else. i hope you're getting a HDPE res and not an Acrylic one. if you get acrylic, i would get some FluidXP+ as well.

10. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Well, after learning more about water cooling, and found out about fillports and res's etc ( :duh: ) I think ill just go for the fillport, takes up less space :)

Ill go for a thermochill 120.2 rad with 1/2" tubing around the system. DD TDX CPU block and the Maze 4 GPU block, I have no need for a chipset block really, what are your opinions on the DD D4 pump? It connects straight to a molex so I wouldnt have to bother with an invertor.

Heres a copy of a set I put together on over-clock.com:

DangerDen TDX (1/2") - A64 s754/939/940
    £31.99 £31.99
    DangerDen Maze4 Acetal Top LowProfile GPU Block (1/2")
    £27.00 £27.00
    Budget Temperature Probe
    £4.25 £4.25
    PTFE Tape
    £0.75 £0.75
    Worm Drive Hose Clips (Various Sizes Available)
    10mm to 16mm - £1.45 exc vat 4
    £1.45 £5.80
    DangerDen Fillport
    £8.99 £8.99
    1/2" ID Tygon R3603 Tubing
    £2.25 £11.25
    ThermoChill HE120.2
    £41.00 £41.00
    Zerex Racing Super Coolant 4oz
    £5.95 £5.95
    1/2" T-Piece
    £1.18 £1.18
    3/8" BSPT 1/2" Barb
    £1.00 £2.00
    Danger Den DD12V-D4 (1/2")
    £41.00 £41.00

Subtotal £181.16
    VAT - £31.72
    PAYPAL Surcharge - £3.64
    Total £216.52

Its a UK store so less hassle :p I could try and find some of the stuff from people on forums too, that might knock it down a bit :D Opinions on this? I lost the chrome which is a downer but what can ya do :p

11. kaotic504

i'd take a thermochill over a BIX anyday, it's harder to get a thermochill than a bix in the US.

12. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

try to get the new D5 pump. It should be the same price and it is better than the D4 you have listed.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Actually, comparative testing has shown that the BIX just has the edge. However in practice it makes little difference.

The D5 is indeed a good improvement over the D4.

Don't bother with a chipset block. It will offer no appreciable advantage.

14. kaotic504

the reason why i would chose a ThermoChill over a BIX is b/c it's not as commonly seen in rigs around here as BIX's. just adds more to the "cool" factor when someone asks you where did you get that from. and i don't know about the paint on the ThermoChill's but the paint on any Black Ice rad chips off easily.

15. Fibbles

Fibbles What's a Dremel?

Thermo's aren't hard to find here! The local computer shop sells them, they even have the PA160's in. Add Danger Den to that and well, they're pretty common.

16. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Yep ive just got my DD & thermchill from a well known uk shop,great service and fast delivery :)

Tags: