1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Can you hook a car stero/ reciever to computer?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by waitandbleed, 4 Feb 2005.

1. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Just what my title says. I imagine it might be fairly diffifult. but I think it would look pretty sweet. :rock: Also I have been browsin the forums for a little more than a week and this site is tight. Keep up the good work everyone! You have inspired me to make my own mod. Still planning it all out and the car stereo is what I was gonna use as my lcd / cd player. thanks!

2. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

I would imagine so. They both run on 12V+. It might require some tweeking with the wiring but if you have some time it should be pretty easy. There have been a couple of nice mods with putting one of those motorized DVD player/screens into a couple of 5.5" bays.

Just one thing to be cautious of is your draw on your power supply. If you look at a car system, its usually only playing when the motor is running (or when your parked, but there is a huge battery so...). Just make sure you dont overdraw on your voltages and smoke your system.

3. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

If you are going to use a car stereo in your compuer (which I think is an AWSOME idea, get one with line-inputs or you will be hatin it), you need to get a 12v regulated power supply to install in your computer. I wouldnt attempt to hook it up to your computer's psu, all I see are problems doing it that way.

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

what about either hooking it up to a seperate PSU or just get a 12v transformer that goes into the wall plugs

5. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

installing a car player into a computer = relatively easy... but to use it as a computer controlled LCD and a computer cd drive = very hard. :idea:

6. waitandbleed

Could you show me a possible tutorial on it? Or does anyone have a link that could helo me? I have googled it and nothing thanks! :rock:

7. pears0

pears0 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if this is possible without hacking the stero open and adding a load of extra PCB for the computer data readers decoders ETC. Whihch would leave u with a car stero and not alor else in your PC. However, if you wanted to use it juat for audio, it would be possible (and relitivly easy) to connect its standard audio ouputs to a sound card header (internal approach) and run it through the AUX input on the sound card options on your PC.

8. waitandbleed

This is gonna be the route I probably take then. Thanks! Also would I still be able to use it as a cd player still even though it wouldnt show up on my computers hardware? I have a Audigy 2 ZS Platnium sound card, is that going to be suffcient? Thanks.

9. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Yes and no...sort of. I mean, you WILL be able to use it's CD player functions, but unless you do some serious rewiring and PCB work, Windows will not see it as a drive. And even if you did rewire the thing, Windows probably still wouldn't see it, seeing as how it's just a CD player and not an actual data drive.

However, if it's got a remote, you could probably rig that up somehow. And if your PC has an IR port on it, you could probably get some software and just use the PC as the remote (you'd have to figure out which frequency the remote and stereo talk on, plus you'd have to program the software. But it's doable.)