1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you pls recommend a tech training site?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by hanybanoub, 29 Oct 2006.

1. hanybanoub

hanybanoub What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

I'm a computer scientist by education and have also been working in computing support and training for years.

I consider myself knowledgeable but by no means am I a guru.

I'd like to learn more, not in depth, but to have an idea about what a particular term means, and just as importantly, what real-world concepts are.

I have a job interview this week and I'd like to perform as best as I can. So in the meantime I'd like to 'study' or 'brush-up' on my tech skills as much as possible.

(Just to give examples I know what a DLL is, INF file, drivers, software conflicts, windows of course, Port Forwarding, IP addressing, Routers, but I wouldn't know how to manually configure/code a DLL; or perhaps to know automatically that port XX is reserved for; that there are classes of IP address but I couldn't tell you straight away which is which by looking at an address)

Sorry I hope I made myself clear.

EDIT: I realized that I should talk about about the job role as that would help your recommendations LOL :)...It will be primarly supporting a particular software product, learning it in and out, and that is why I mentioned DLLs in the beginning, networking I definetly need to learn but concepts are more important for that I need a program troubleshooting/supporting prespective from this site)

Can you guys, or girls :), recommend a site that discusses concepts, terms?

Not sites that are for complete newbies, and not ones that are 100% Tech orientated as well, somewhere in the middle.

Thanks in advance :)
    hanybanoub

Last edited: 29 Oct 2006
  2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

3. hanybanoub

cheers!

Fantastic cheers for ur reply m8 :)

I already use it and I do know that it's practically Bill Gates himself LOL ;)

How about program troubleshooting concepts, things to really understand, more specific info for example on DLLs or similar subjects.

Sorry I hope I'm making myself clear.

Thanks again 4 ur quick reply :D

4. DougEdey

DLLs are just modules used by programs, they contain functions which are called by the master program. Really, its more a case of Googling the subject you want or using Wikipedias related links.

5. hanybanoub

You're right!

You're abs right m8 in fact I was doing that right now :)

It is just a case of doing loads of reading/researching and understanding before Thursday ;)

If you have any favourites please lmk. Thanks again.

6. hanybanoub

Here's a good one:

http://www.olapreport.com/glossary.htm

Perhaps too basic for some and has loads of things we already know, but gives a good and short overview of a concept.

I'm answering my own question it seems :D

7. DougEdey

I don't tend todo much research atm, need to get back into it cos I need to think of a project and I want to made a 3D network visualisation tool for use on routers.

8. hanybanoub

Of course m8 I understand.

And I also understand the concept of what you're talking about, but I wouldn't know HOW to do it (I'd have to research and learn).

Good luck w/ ur project :)

9. hanybanoub