1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you transfer a work unit to another machine?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Norfolk'N'Good, 25 May 2009.

1. Norfolk'N'Good

Norfolk'N'Good Folding Chimp

I have some half finished work units using the windows console 5.04 standard cpu client that were done on one of my work pc's that is not used very often, these wu's are still under the deadline but that particular machine has been taken out of service now and i can use it.

Can i transfer these over to a different machine? and if so is it just a case of copying over all of the files or do you have to do anything different.

Thanks,

Norfolk...

2. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

IIRC you can do that but will hit problems at some future date when the client tries to auto-update. It's something to do with the machineID that Stanford uses to track machines. If you have to transfer to another machine, let the units finish but do not download a new unit. Then uninstall, reboot, and reinstall from fresh. Tedious, but it puts everything in sync.

3. Norfolk'N'Good

Thanks for the info Christopher :thumb: it sounds a little more tricky than i thought but i will give it a try, it seems a shame to lose some work.

4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1, I have done this before when reformatting machines and moving cards around and on the rare occasion that the client did get a chance to download a new WU, there were problems with time codes and unit due times etc. All you have to remember to do is uninstall the client once the "moved WU" is finished, reboot and reinstall the client and you're away! :)

5. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

If you start the client with the option -pause then when it has completed the work unit
    and uploaded the results it will not download another, it will do nothing, giving you
    the chance to sort it out.

6. Norfolk'N'Good

Thanks all sorted, the -pause flag worked a treat:thumb:

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nice tip with the pause comman there Arthur, that one will come in handy in the future no doubt :thumb: