1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can't get file sharing to work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Morphious, 6 Oct 2006.

1. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Alright, so here's the deal...

I just got a laptop computer today and I am having problems setting up file sharing with my desktop, so that I can transfer everything n all that good stuff.

I have internet access on the laptop (using that right now) but when I go to view my network connections, nothing shows up when I am on either computer.

I have file sharing enabled on both computers, and on my desktop I can see the laptop and one other computer on the network, but I can't access any of the files that are on the laptop when i am using the desktop.

We are on the same workgroup and everything...just no clue what's wrong and why i can't see my desktop.

Any insight into the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

What anti virus / firewall software is on both machines?

3. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

For the sake of file sharing, I disabled the firewalls on both computers in case that was maybe something that could be causing it.

It looksl ike I'm not the only one with problems using HP computers - http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=120763

Read through that and tried the things suggested, nothing has solved the issue.

4. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

On both PCs if you type on the cmd prompt, "ipconfig /all" with out quotes, does the NodeType say Hybrid?

If not it should and something needs editing in your registry. I can check google if you need it.

Tags: