can't talk to a NAS, help - n2100 owners get in here!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Fod, 30 Mar 2008.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

OK, i had purchased a thecus n2100 NAS before moving house and successfully tested it before packing it away, to be set up properly after everything is organised at new house.

so, time has come to get it rigged to network. my current setup is a gig-e switch spidering out to my cable modem, router, and PC. router's configured as 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, IP of PC is 192.168.1.100 and wifi devices managed via DHCP between 100 and 108. the NAS has a default ip of 192.168.0.100 on one ethernet adapter and 192.168.2.100 on its second adapter.

i cannot for the life of my get this NAS to appear on my network - it just doesnt show up in an arp. it DID at one point, but now it doesn't. earlier today, i had it on a crossover cable to my 2nd ethernet adapter on the PC (IP set to 192.168.0.111, subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and managed to mount the share vols, but still couldn't access its web admin page to make it use DHCP. ideally i want it hooked to my switch on a static IP so i can map it as a network drive across all my devices.

help, please?

to any n2100 owners feeling brave. if you could be so kind as to procure the smb.conf file in the /sys folder of the hard drives (you'll have to yank a drive and mount it under linux), could you please post the contents? thanks!

Last edited: 1 Apr 2008
  2. Fod

3. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

It's a love/hate relationship. 50% love, 50% hate. I believe it's similar to what marriage would be like.

EDIT:
    BAM! *spam*

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  4. Fod

it's more of a zomg, computers make me money, awsum. then at home they turn around and stab me in the back for trying to use them for recreational purposes. i have a feeling this is partly why i am moving away from them as a gaming platform.

5. Fod

el bump. final desperate call for help, specifically from n2100 owners!

i have corrupted the smb.conf file i need to access the drives via samba now. i'm a retard, and i haven't backed up. i need to edit a valid version of this file to access the root of the nas (which is on flash) so i can restore a default configuration so i can get web admin back, so, if a n2100 owner could be so kind as to do this:

yank (one of) the drive(s), mount under linux, go to /sys, and post the contents of smb.conf here.

much appreciation to anyone who does this!! thanks!

Tags: