1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Car blocking wifi??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skimo, 15 Jun 2005.

1. Skimo

Skimo What's a Dremel?

We got a new car on Saturday (mazda6) and now whenever it is in the drive neither laptop can connect to the router (netgear DG834G).

At first I thought this was a coincidence, but it connected as soon as my mum’s partner left for work today. Low and behold after a days worth of connection, as soon as he arrived back from work it disconnected immediately. So therefore it’s either him or the car? :confused:

2. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

change the channel the wireless gear is running on.

if your on channel one, move to channel 10+

Wireless is damn easy to stall, the mazda 6 dosen't use any wireless gear does it? (neato RFid credit card style unlocking, nothing like that is there?).

3. Skimo

Skimo What's a Dremel?

I''ve discovered that its the positioning of the car on the drive that is causing the interference - must be reflecting the waves somehow?!?! (I'm not the best at A2 physics). Even if the laptop was positioned right next to the router it would cut out. The mazda has no wireless equipment built in that I'm aware of.

Changing the wireless channel does solve the problem, but its just strange anyway, didn't realise that a car could cause interference.

4. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

it's not a Mazda feature that's causing interference, it's the chinese built short-wave radio monitoring your family's habits hidden under your back seat that is causing the problem. :lol:

5. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Enjoy the M6 we just got one (black) and my mom loves it. Strange also the car interfers with the connection? Did it happen with your previous vehicle?

6. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Maybe your mum's partner is a robot. :lol:

But seriously it could be one of those remote startup things, as TheAnimus suggested, interfering

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

You should definately start acting suspicious around him. And make him wear a tinfoil helmet.

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

Shouldn't you be doing that, so he can't read your mind?

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

No because the wifi blocking equipment is in blokeys head.

Trust me. This is a common problem, I've seen it loads of times before.

Tags: