1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory CAS vs MHz Fight!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spouse, 14 Oct 2014.

1. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

A nice performance gain on the IGPU with faster memory clock is well known since the first apu chip. So nope, I am talking about discrete graphics card.
    There was no significant gain in graphics performance related to faster memory for so many years and I have also been very surprised seeing those results. I have decided to do some tests by myself with Asus Maximus VII Ranger, i7-4790K, i5-4670K and G.Skill Trident 2400MHz CL 10-12-12-31 and the results are very interesting. With faster cpu clock the difference get smaller, but in places where VGA gets limited by cpu the faster ram can really make difference, especially in minimal fps.

I added links to purepc test rather than my 'empty' words, but I hope there soon will be more tests from better known sites. :thumb:

2. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

+1
    I can't agree more, however 30 quid won't be enough to get gtx 980 over gtx 970 but is just about to buy 2133/2400 instead of 1600.