1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case Building x_x

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Lag Messiah, 6 Aug 2002.

1. Lag Messiah

Lag Messiah What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

My car mp3 player is almost a reality. I have 2 more steps till it's in working order. The biggest of these is finding/making as small a case as I can. I have an extra computer, that was a CS server until I joined a clan that had a good one, that I'd like to use. It's a standard ATX form P3 motherboard. So I have 2 questions really:

1) Is there a slim case or something like it I can buy? This is going in my trunk behind my subs, next to my amp so I'd like to make it small as I can.

b) If I can't buy one what's a nice cheap material I can use that will hold together? It doesn't really need to be pretty, for the moment it's hidden. I was looking at Linear's invisible case and although it'd be nice to build a cool plexi case, I don't think I have the money or time to do it (like he said it took close to a month.)

Thanks.

2. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

beh amps = EMI = bad for ure mobo. have u tried the glove compartment? u could EMI shield it though.....any more thoughts guys???

3. Lag Messiah

yah it won't be right next to it like on top of it or anything, but that was a bit of a thought. It'd be a few feet from the thing, how much shielding would I need?

4. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

just get a good metal case...and line it with aluminum foil. Theres also a metal mesh thats very fine that can be used to shield equipment. Very flexible and easy to use....in fact I have a rather large roll of it sitting my garage....if you were to slip unmarked bills under my desk i might be inclined to send u some....

5. Lag Messiah

hehehe might just to that. we'll see how things go ;)

6. linear

linear Minimodder

My case took me three months to finish, for a couple of reasons. First I had never worked with acrylic before, so I did everything twice more or less. (Some things more than twice ;) ). And also I had weird geometry that I was working with, and did loads of hand work polishing things out.

Now for your car, who cares actually how it looks. I'd go with aluminum L-channel as your frame, and river ot screw on acrylic panels. Use 1/8" sheet, you can score and snap it, you'll be done in two days tops, with time left over to drink a cold beer.

Have a look at planning your acrylic case for some more things you'll need (want anyway) to think about before you start cutting.

7. Lag Messiah

right...which leads me to another question...not really a question but a statement. I've read a few articles, but I really haven't played around with building things (usually I just chop them up you know ;) ) So, where does one go about buying sheet metal to make a case out of?

8. Lag Messiah

but on another note...I think that would look bad ass! An alu frame with plexi sides... I love you linear.

9. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Dam I was thinkin of that idea today on the way home from work. Guess I'll hafta think up another one now. (turns on think cap) :p

10. Yammosk

Yammosk What's a Dremel?

what about using the AopenH340D A nice small case worth a look i guess

Yammosk

11. Lag Messiah

that's a microATX/flexATX case...would it fit my board?

12. god8y

god8y What's a Dremel?

dammit linear is stealing my ideas ! :D :D
    ah well since i didn't have money for it to build it could take a long time before it's finished since i'm still modding this old midi case i got lying around :p

(I would use black smoked acrylic, it would look slick with the alu frames i gues)

13. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

i am doing this as well at the moment :)

14. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

Have you thought about using one of those camara/equipment cases that sell for about £20? There are quite robust, have a handle for mobility, and they look shiny :D You should be able to find one that is big enough to hold an atx + drives etc! You may of seen several projects where people have used them for lan boxs. :dude:

15. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

I used an old equipment case and I jammed it under my seat.

The heat and humidity killed it. That is what I get for living in a jungle.

16. linear

linear Minimodder

Uh, I love you too, man :worried:

I'd look in your yellow pages under sheet metal and buy it locally.

17. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Acutally Yammosk reccommended that case. Since it's a micro/flex ATX, I doubt it would fit a full size ATX board.

18. Lag Messiah

hehehe thanks man :lol:

19. Lag Messiah

oooops....I quoted the wrong post on that one.

20. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

anyone ever seen the "computer shoved into a rubbermaid toolbox" or the "computer shoved into an aluminum briefcase" mods? the toolbox would fit the whole trunk theme you got goin here .....