Motherboards Case Fans and Mobo's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WhiteKnight226, 9 Apr 2011.

1. WhiteKnight226

WhiteKnight226 Minimodder

This is probably a stupid question but I feel the need to ask.

Do all mother boards come with enough plug ins to run a cases fans?

I just bought an NZXT Phantom for my new Sandy Bridge build I am working on and want to know if there is a certain type of MoBo I will need to get to get full use out of the case(including eSATA and the fan controller).

Can't seem to find this on MoBo websites. I have been looking into getting the MSI P67A-GD53. Would like to know if it will do the trick.

Sorry for my noobness lol.

2. General_Confusion

General_Confusion Now Where was I?

I generally dont like powering anything over a 92mm fan off the MB headers. I prefer to either use a fan controller powered off the psu ro just power the fans directly off the psu.

Though I'm not sure it matters these days but it used to cause issues powering 120mm or larger fans off the mb, too much power draw making the system unstable or the fans would just run slow..

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

looks like that motherboard has a total of 5 fan headers on it, -1 for the cpu cooler that leaves you 4 for case fans. however since the nzxt case has a fan controller built in, it is irrelevant as it will connect via a 4 pin molex off of your power supply which runs all of the case fans.

4. WhiteKnight226

I am going with an Antec True Power TP-750 PSU. As it is my 1st build, I am trying to do as much research on just how everything works so I don't start destroying hardware.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your motherboard fan connector will set your fan at full speed. In other words your computer will be noisy. I don't know about you, but I like my computer ultra quiet. I don't want to even hear it. Usually fans comes with a molex connector add-on plug which lets you pick between 2 speed (full or low), or has a short extension which has a wire for you to pick the speed, or has a switch.
    decibels level mentioned on the box of a fan assumes lowest fan speed.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

They don't always, mine has the option in the bios to only go speed up above 800rpm when necessary

7. WhiteKnight226

But if all fans are connected to the PSU, and fan controller connected to the motherboard, I can somewhat control the speeds?

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Looks to me as if the MSI P67A-GD53 has 3 or 4 fan headers on the MB, might just be the CPU fan that is controlled in the bios, will check if my MSI P55 GD65 has the additional options next time I reset.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well you are now using a fan controller.
    I was talking about simply connecting the fan to the motherboard is not always good, as usually the motherboard just gives the fan full power. So the fans going full speed.

10. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

No. It depends on the motherboard. But note motherboard connections are not necessary, only power connections. However, if you use a motherboard fan header, it is likely you will be able to monitor the fan speed, and in some case, control the speed.

11. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

The motherboard is irrelevant with your case - I have one too!

The NZXT Phantom has a built in 5 channell fan controller, so link the fans to that (with splitter cables that are ?included? if you have two fans in any given spot -eg the top or the side panel) not the MoBo and power the fan controller directly from the PSU!

12. MazzaB

MazzaB What's a Dremel?

Looks like lysol already said this and I missed it! DOH!

Last edited: 22 Jul 2011
  13. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Not to mention you responded to dead thread.