1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case Window Question

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SMudgeh, 18 Jun 2002.

1. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

I want to add a window to the side of my new case. I added one to my old case, but it had that horrible black rubber seal around the edge of it. Is there any way I can cut the hole and attach it to the case another way?

I'm thinking of sticking it on, but I'll need something bloomin strong to keep it from falling off every few days :) Any suggestions?

Also, chances are I'll need to cut the window/plastic itself, as I have a Coolercase Tornado from OCUK so will need to get round the fans on the sides. Any advice on that would be appreciated too.

Simon

2. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

There are many ways to attach a window. You could drill holes through your case panel and the window and use little bolts. You could use rivets. You could use JB Weld and glue some bolts to the inside of the case panel and bolt the window in (that way it would look stealthed). Or, you could use silicon and basically glue the window in. Just make sure you make a really smooth cut when cutting the window hole. :D

As for cutting the plastic, you can cut acrylic/perspex with normal wood working tools.

3. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

When I did my window, I bolted it to the panel with Torx bolts for an industrial look. The plastic / perspex I used could be scored with a stanley knife and snapped along the score. I did this to get the correct size, and then dremmeled around the handle on my side panel.

Check out piccies here http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10578

Last edited: 18 Jun 2002
  4. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

That looks cool! Think I may have to head down that road :)

Did you buy that perspex from a PC modding co. or from a general DIY place.?

Did you cut that window with a dremel or jigsaw as the edges are extremely straight and neat? When I did my last window, my edges went all over the place :lol:

5. GreatOldOne

I got the perspex / plastic sheet from Homebase - it was < £15 quid for a sheet (about 2' x 4' in size)

The window was cut with a dremel - the side panel was liberaly coted with masking tape, and the desired shape drawn on. (The radius of the corner is the same as the radius of a pot of cutting discs - spooky! :eyebrow: :p ). I a couple of mil within the line, and used a file to get the finished size. It took most of my Friday off to finish the cutout!!

The plastic was cut to size and held to the side panel with some plastic hand clamps (you can get them from Homebase when you get your plastic!). Once this was done and the plastic was checked for alignement, the holes for the bolts where drilled through both alu * plastic at the same time, to enure alignment.

6. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

Ok cool, just what I wanted to know. Just gotta wait for my student loan so I can get spending ;)

7. GreatOldOne

Oh - that's right - go on, spend my taxes on mods...

Bloody Students!!:p :lol:

8. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

LOL!! That is the epitomy of the modding psyche! :hehe: That's probably a better use of your tax money than anything the government would have done with it. :D

9. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

i hate to tell u mate that he aint spending ur taxes on modding (mores the pity :))

gone are thedays of freebee grants, i have to pay every damn penny of my loan back :(

hazza

10. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

One more thing :)

When cutting the case, should I cut it from the inside? I think I read that I should somewhere. I cut it from the outside last time and had scratches and scrapes all round the edges.

And GreatOldOne, did you cover the entire panel with masking tape or just the outline of where you were going to cut?

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You don't have to cut from the inside, if you cover your ENTIRE panel with 2" thick masking tape (except where you've marked your window!) you should be ok, masking tape shouldn't leave sticky goo on your case... if you end up with filings on your case for gods sake don't wipe them off! Blow on your case or use spray duster (hold the can upright, if you hold it upside down you can freeze stuff:lol: )

12. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

We do Chrome Edge window Kits

13. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

Nice plug :D

I looked at the chrome edge kits, but I want to do a window without any edging. Of course, if it all goes pearshaped, I will be able to cover it up with either a rubber seal or the chrome edging ;)

14. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

No matter how much planning you do...it's always good to have a backup plan. :D

15. GreatOldOne

I covered the whole panel, and cut from the outside. There was some glue residue when I took the tape off, but it wipes of with soapy water.

16. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I've bought a coolermaster 201 and I've got a window mod to fit tommorow, however I ay got a dremmel, what I do have however is a cordless, speed variable DeWalt Jigsaw and a multitude of different "bits" for it... dya'll think a fine bit would do this fine? I have a rubber seal to cover mess and my jig-Saw skills are well refined (years of growing up with dangerous power tools!)

Just worried about the aluminium bendring or summint... I can tape the bugger down to a cardboard box to hold it steady...

17. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

You should buy your plexiglass/acrylic/lexan at a home improvement store. I got mine at Home Depot in there glass replacement facility. They carry really small sheets(8x10 at 1/8 inch)to monsters at like 100x100 with 1/4 inch thick! I would reccomend buying the 1/4 inch. Though you cant score and snap to cut it with a dremel at its lowest speed setting and a cutting wheel you should be able to saw it up no prob. They will cut it for you if you want them too.

18. SMudgeh

SMudgeh What's a Dremel?

Here's where the fun starts :eeek:

Just got some perspex from B&Q and template drawn on the case. Simply (heh) need to cut the hole in the case and chop the window and away we go.

My next post will appear in the Disaster Mods section :D

19. GreatOldOne

I'm sure you'll be fine! :D

Just take it easy, and remember to cut inside the line - you can always file more alu away, but it's difficult to put it back once it's gone...

One more peice of advice - when drilling the perspex, keep the drill revs low - at high speed you'll melt it, or worse crack it when you punch through.

Oh, and keep hold of that scrap alu from the middle, and the extra perspex - you'll be needing both later on....;)

20. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

you could always cut out you window use blowhole trim to edge the metal then stick the plexi on the side of the case usihg double sided sticky. I have done this on my top window and my side panel windows. I will get some pics up as soon as my article is finished being edited which should be some time this weekend.