1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks CAT5 wiring problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CHRISS, 10 Apr 2004.

1. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

I am attempting to get another computer onto our cat5 network, the wire runs parallel with mains so I have used shielded cable. I am using the T-568B wiring standard on both ends (straight though) and both ends are terminated using screwfix punch-down terminals (http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=34584&ts=15262), patch leads connecting the computer to the hub via this cable. The cable is not longer than 15M and I have grounded one end of the foil shield of the cable. When plugged into the hub, both LED’s (link_act and speed indicator) flash very fast continuously but the computer cannot ping anybody on the network. This happens even when the computer is turned off, and happens on any computer I plug into that outlet. What do the flashing led’s indicate and what can I do to solve the problem?
    Any help will be much appreciated

Last edited: 10 Apr 2004
  2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Can you turn off the mains power and then try the network? ;)

Have you tested the cables with a tester, or before installation, just to make sure they work before you put them in?

You could try unhooking the cable on both ends, and using a multimeter or oscilliscope if you have one to see if there is any voltage on the wire from induction.

3. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

I tried truning the power off
    the cables have been tested
    and I'll try with a multimeter tomorrow
    thanks, :D

4. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Could the Hub be borked, Can you try with just a x-over cable between 2 pcs?

5. Joel

Joel What's a Dremel?

sounds like its wired wrong, i have had that a couple of times when i get the wires mixed up..

the wires should go from left to right(with clip facing down):

white/orange - orange - white/green - blue - white/blue - green - white/brown - brown

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

There is no internationally excepted standard for the colours to plugs, as each wire is the same. Basically make sure u have the right pair at each end (i say pair because theyare LVD over long range, as such u use the twisted pair to work towards data integrity).

linkie:
    http://www.netspec.com/helpdesk/wiredoc.html

7. CHRISS

CHRISS What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help guy's
    I have tried finding inductance on the wires using a multimeter on the finest setting.... nothing.
    I am using that color sequence Joel ( that is standard T-568B as far as i am aware...)
    I tried another hub, with the same results and crossover works fine so there must be a problem with that particular wire since i have double checked all my color coding and i was careful bot to kink the cable during installation (quite tough stuff anyways :) )
    ill let you know how i get on :yawn:

8. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

could it be that it isnt grounded properly?
    that by grounding it you might have introduced a charg into the shielding?
    iv seen it happen before

Tags: