1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Catalyst driver disables one of my cards!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 28 Jan 2009.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hey everyone,

Have a bit of a problem............hoping someone can help :)

I have 2 ATI 4670pro 512Mb GDDR3 cards (one is sapphire the other is powercolor which I've just bought).

Whenever I try to install the latest catalyst drivers it pops up with a message in the taskbar at the end of the install saying one of the adapters was disabled due to a compatibility issue with the driver.

I've tried swapping the cards around but it doesn't make a difference.

I'm currently stuck with a rather crappy ASUS board at the moment until I decide on a new one. but it does say crossfire X compatible on the motherboard box. The second PCI-E lane is only 4x though. Not sure if that might be my problem.

Any thoughts?

Powercolor http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150851/

Sapphire http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149184

2. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Were the 4670's one of the ones that didn't require the crossfire cables inside? If they are, you may want to try using the crossfire cables anyway. That aside, I see no reason your setup shouldn't work, unless it's the 4x PCI-e that's affecting it.

3. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

If the issue wasn't there with the previous drivers, you could always just not update the drivers...

- Diosjenin -

4. popcornuk1983

No they need a crossfire cable. It came with one of the graphics cards. I think I'll need to wait until I get my new motherboard to test it.

I've seen mesages on several forums where one of the graphics cards have ended up being faulty. But i've swapped the cards around inside the case and the one in the PCI-E x16 slot is always fine.

It gets picked up by windows in the device manager and it shows as working. But shows as disable in CCC.

Sadly there is no options on the BIOS to fiddle around with regard the PCI-E slots so i'm pretty much stuck!

I've also tested previous versions of catalyst drivers. But no difference

Boo hiss boo :waah:

Cheers for the advice though!

5. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Well, at least let us know what you come up with when you get the new motherboard. Sucks having an issue with no clear solution though.

6. popcornuk1983

I shall keep you posted :D motherboard should be here by the end of the week.

Seriously annoying issue. Not knowing whats wrong really grinds my gears!!

Cheers

7. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Sounds like it's the x4 slot that it doesn't like then.
    Either that, or somehow the x4 slot if faulty. Or the south bridge?

The new motherboard (providing it doesn't also have a x4 slot for GFX) should solve that then :thumb:

8. popcornuk1983

Heres hoping! :D

Just ordered the ASUS P5Q Pro. Will find out soon

9. popcornuk1983

*UPDATE*

Hey

Got my P5Q Pro today. Works a treat. However..........

Same issue is still appearing with the catalyst drivers disabling the second graphics card due to an incompatible driver (regardless of which card is installed in the second PCI-E slot).

If I roll back to catalyst 8.11 then it's fine or if I install the latest 9.1 driver but don't install CCC then crossfire will work (checked via GPU-Z and shows that crossfire is enabled).

This is really getting on my tits.......just have to stick with 8.11 for now :waah:

Anyone had similar issues or knows how to fix it?

10. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

11. popcornuk1983

Thanks for the link. Feel better knowing I'm not doing something stupid on my end!! With amd doing crossfire for so long you would think they would have ironed out most of the bugs, nevermind introducing them to new drivers!

I'm doing a complete reformat of my C: drive just now as having 3 motherboard changes has made windows cough and fall over.

Grr I hate when things don't work right

Cheers again :D