1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cathode output not what it should be?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pflumingo, 1 Dec 2002.

1. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

I have used Neons in computers for a while, well, I just put in a blue cold cathode 12" and it seems to be waaaay dimmer than a similar sized neon would be, Is this normal???

First of all I know the answer is no...

My real question is could this be because of an underpowered invertor (Part of the kit) or would that make it not light at all?

Input???

2. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

It's probably like mine and has a bad connection to the inverter. I wiggled the connector around and it worked fine but it's still not perfect. When it does work right it's a little bit brighter than the neon I've got.

3. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

With lower voltage coming from the inverter the cathode gets dimmer. That is why you can make cathode bus with rheostats and alter the brightnes of those cathodes.

With one cathode of mine I noticed that moving those wires going to that cathode lamp away from each other made the light brighter. Poor insulations/interference or something but it made a noticable difference.