1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics CCFL Inverter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by whypick1, 7 Jan 2004.

1. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I'm planning on picking up this LCD display (sure, I'd like it to be blue/white, but since it's <$40 w/ controller, I won't complain). The only problems are that I need to build a negative voltage generator (nope, can't use -12v on PSU because I need at least -18v) and, as you probably already guessed, a CCFL inverter. I know I can't just buy one for a 12" kit and slap it on there, and I've had 0 luck finding any information on the two model #s for the recommended inverters in the LCD's datasheet, so it looks like I have to build my own.

Now, I know the very basic parts needed for an inverter (couple caps, resistors, inductors, NPN BJTs, and a xformer), but I don't know exactly what I'll need for these specs:

210v RMS Running
    900v RMS Start
    5mA
    5v input (would be nice, will use 12v if necessary)

Oh, and :search: doesn't do much since every possible variation of "cold cathode inverter" turns up a bunch of computer modding links.

2. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

Allelectronics has this dc-dc converter which nicely changes 5VDC to -10/-19/-26VDC output. Just remember that the diagram it comes with requires the caps and resistance load shown. 50 cents is not bad either. I use this on a SED1330 based LCD with negative voltage.

As for the inverter:

AE also has a cheap inverter Here that supplies 6kVRMS at 50kHz. The inverter for your LCD shows 900VRMS. This is the most common voltage for most LCD CCFLs. Here is an inverter from them that will most likely suit your needs, although it is expensive at $10.

You could build your own, but the transformers are hard to source parts IMO. And circuits are schetchy to test.

3. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Let us know how that LCD works our for you. If you can - could you post pictures? That looks like a nice LCD for a nice price.

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

CCFLs tend to be very forgiving if you use the wrong inverter as long as you get the right current and close enough running voltage.

I would just see what u can pick up at ur local store, or scavange off somthing

5. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

you can buy charge pump ICs specifically designed for generating negative supplies for lcds from Maxim's IC range. I was looking at it just today. I'll have a look for it tomorrow and let you know.

6. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

Actually, think I just found what your looking for:

Maxim MAX1996A

This uses 4.6V to 28V output and generates CCFL. Just download the data sheet, and request a free sample to try the chip out. If this doesn't suit try other products on this page:

others

Hope this helps.