1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals CCTV

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ozzie, 22 Oct 2016.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

Thanks for the replies, I have a spare 1TB 3.5" drive so that should do I think. Changing the cables however is not really feasible as it is too much work for me to be able to carry out and to pay somebody would be too expensive to make sense. My existing system which is resolution D1
    uses the Cat 5e existing cables. Is there no way the ones I linked to would work as they have exactly the same connectors so would be an easy swop job.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The fact that the connectors are BNC, of course, which is a co-ax connector :confused:

Crimping is generally easy peasy with a decent crimp tool, just make sure you have a bit of slack in the cable for the first connector, and a bit more just in case you need to do it again. Watching a few videos on youtube helps for technique too. A tester is worth it since you'll be doing a few, as it can confirm there and then whether it's a solid connection instead of trying to troubleshoot connected devices.

3. Ozzie

I have downloaded the DropBox clip but can't play it.

4. GS500E

GS500E What's a Dremel?

Have you tried playing the zmp5 clip on the system you currently use for CCTV?

I can't vouch for your current cabling, on another thread you mention you already employ a gardener/handyman, now the grass won't need cutting sounds like a mornings work for him, as the cables are already routed just connect new to old and pull them through.

5. Ozzie

Hi again, supplied cables are too short for 2 cameras. Existing cabling runs through walls, one underground and one over the roof so I think a mornings work is a little optimistic:)

Ref the clip, I can't play it on my existing system, I will spare you the lengthy explanation about CODECs. What puzzles me is how you were able to play it unless it was after I had converted it from zmp5 to something recognizable which I would have had to have done in "real time".

6. Ozzie

I will probably go for the one I linked to, the same as yours. I can't see why it won't work and easy to do. I will order it tomorrow unless anyone suggests otherwise, I want to get it done before the weather gets any worse.

7. GS500E

GS500E What's a Dremel?

The clip is the original zmp5 format, had it been converted you'd have no issue playing it neither would the dropbox site.

It plays on my older XP system which had its own codecs issues in the past, regarding TV recordings made on an even earlier winME system, so obviously something I installed along the way enabled it to play zmp5.

Hopefully the new system works out OK, the cable issue is a bit of a worry but I can't really comment if it'll work, to my mind it would be better to consider a POE system and fit rj45 connectors to your existing cat5, but that's just a suggestion to consider and look into.

8. Ozzie

"so obviously something I installed along the way enabled it to play zmp5."

I wish I knew what as a matter of interest but not really relevant now as I will go for the system I linked to.

Re: the cabling, the cameras from my link have BNC connectors. This is what I have on my existing Cat5e after I adapted it, 1pair to BNC and another pair for power leaving 2 pairs free. It may not be PoE as we know it as it has an independent power supply.

Thanks for your on going help anyway despite our initial misunderstanding on another site:)

9. GS500E

GS500E What's a Dremel?

I don't know what your current system gives in terms of storage, but with 4 cams the 1TB will be full in about a week.

If you decide you want more storage ebuyer often offer 5TB external drives for £105, which could be plugged in via USB or removed from its caddy and fitted, a nice upgrade when you consider a system with 1TB fitted costs about £60 extra.

10. Ozzie

Currently have 1TB which does about a fortnight which is all I need. As you say 1TB will only do about a week but I have another in a caddy which would possibly give me the 2wks if the device can switch to it and back when either are full.

I have ordered it (the system) but obviously don't have it yet so don't know. I like to make use of stuff I have if I can but being well under my original budget the 5TB is tempting me.

11. GS500E

GS500E What's a Dremel?

Looking at the specs it does say 4TB max for the SATA connection, 4TB go for £95 on ebuyer and £90 when on offer (keep an eye on their daily deals)

Just noticed yours is Sannce and mine is Annke, think they're are much the same though, is yours shipping from UK as mine came in from Germany, fully tracked took only a couple of days to arrive despite being quoted over a week.

12. Ozzie

Coming from UK, I also thought Sannce and Annke were the same, should have it Tuesday. Good point about the 4TB max, something I had not checked. I will use the 1TB that I have for starters once I have it all set up and keep a lookout for a cheap 2 or 4TB.