cd+dvd drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b1g-d0g, 3 Feb 2002.

1. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Lo ive just put a dvd drive in me comp,the trouble ive got is when i boot it up it takes ages to load,where as before it was quick.the dvd drive has takin over my c/and my old c has moved to e.

Also how do i know what is master and what is slave on the back of the drives?

2. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

jeez

the jumpers should tell you. usually there is a diagram stamped on the back right above it or a sticker on it somewhere that would tell you.

to get it to boot faster you should try going into the cmos and changing to boot order so it goes a:, e:, then c:.

so it goes floppy first, then HD, then DVD.

how in the heck did your dvd kick your HD outta c:?

3. batsman

batsman the quiet one

you can change th edrive letters in windows if you can't work out your jumpers, if you are using xp its quite easy, its in local disc managment which is in computer management, in administrative tools. select the drive, rihjt click and select change drive letter.

note you can't change it to one already in use.

in 98 its in device manager i think and select the drive letter you want.

setting your drives up, the easy way is to set your drives to cable select, usually cs or csel, on the pic on the drive. in this mode the bios selects if its master or slave on which port of the ide cable its plugged into.