1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics cd-rom opening mech as case opener ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KNova, 23 May 2006.

1. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

as written in the title....do you have ane options ? have can it be contolled without the cd-rom electric ?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Rip the eject button off -> replace it with another switch.

3. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

soo easy ? but how can it be controlled ? i need only 2 direction ! when it goes backward i can stop it with a switch but how to get it back in original position..!

4. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

What kind of case are you trying to open? Is it one of those pc cases with door over the cdrom drives?

Are you just using the bare cdrom mechanicals or will it continue to operate as a normal drive?

A little more detail might help me understand better.

5. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

ohh sorry !! i have got a Digidice barbone....the mech will be used only for case openin....i have just seen Crismon Skys blastdoor stuf !! just what i need !! will loke that ! :)

6. agent420

agent420 What's a Dremel?

Went and looked at the Doom3 case stuff. Pretty impressive, particularly from a mechanical point of view.

I don't think the motor control is going to be nearly as hard as designing how your door will open. A couple of limit switches is probably all you need. But the way your door opens with both a hinge and then slide action is going to take some thinking.

7. ARM

ARM Minimodder

Hi KNova,
    If I am mistaken, Crimson Sky's mod uses servo motor to control the doors, more info in his website.
    I can help you on the CD ROM stuff. If you open up the drive, you'll see that the tray is opened / closed by a small motor. There's two wires on the motor, which can be powered by 5V dc. The motor is reversible, hence powering it up one way will make the tray open, another way will close it. One method to do this is to use a 'double pole double throw' switch (dpdt). Here's an example: (go down to the double pole double throw section):
    http://www.1728.com/project2.htm
    I would recommend a switch which has centre off, so switch up will open and switch down will close (for example).

ARM

8. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

I dont imagine that a CD mechanism is going to be strong enough to open our case, unless there is very little resistance. The laser back-and-forth thing isnt that strong, and it acually (on the CD drives ive seen) has slip mechanisms, so that the Laser wouldnt get dragged across a CD...
    also, as said before a picture would help

9. KNova

KNova What's a Dremel?

laser ? tray opener mech will be used...and i will have to make a little rail for it on the foot side...

ARM : your my luckystar !! thx that is what i have looked for !!

will make pics if i get there...only a few(1000) things to do till there :)

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

The tray motor is just a strait, standard DC motor. There are microswitched in the case that the tray triggers when it reaches the end of it's travel. Typically, these will be connected to a microcontroller and that microcontroller runs a motor driver. One of the most common types is called an H bridge.

The H bridge has 2 inputs corresponding to forward and reverse directions on the motor. Put power in one input, the motor goes one way, put power in the other input, it goes the other way. Both inputs should not be asserted at once, but some chips may be fine if this happens.