1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd-rw bezels

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WShock, 30 May 2002.

1. WShock

WShock What's a Dremel?

hi,

i bought a liteon 32x12x40x cd-rw drive about a month ago and recently noticed that both the drive bezel and the front of the tray are detachable. I was quite pleased with this as i didn't much want to stealth/paint my drive so it would match a black case and wondered if there was anyone who made black bezels for different drives. I've tried looking on the liteon site and couldn't find any mention of them. If anyone knows of anybody who does replacement drive bezels could you post there site .

thanks in advance

wshock

2. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

directron carries a lot of black replacement bezels. I didn't see one for Lite-on's specifically but you may be able to use one of the others... Or you could do what I did and just vinyl dye your bezel the shade of black of your choice. I chose that option because I wanted my drive tray to be black as well. I didn't like the front being black and then when you open it it's beige. Not to mention you could see the inside because I put a window in the top of my drive...

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

i doubt very much that there is a supplier, as there isnt really a market for it...

if so id be very much suprised...and enlightened to find out...

4. felix the cat

there you go...im enlightened....:D

5. eddie_dane

6. felix the cat

o man, i cant seem to find them on their site at all....but then again this is gonna be one of those things again where u can get it in the us but not in the uk....:sigh: :sigh:

7. eddie_dane

yeah, I didn't mention it, but that maybe another arguement for painting it yourself but I'm not sure where "Reading" is since we have one here in Pennsylvania... but I suspect WShock is in the UK... I always hesitate listing US suppliers with so many people in the UK... but it just goes to show that they are out there...:D

8. WShock

WShock What's a Dremel?

Reading is nearish to London. Thanks for your suggestion i'll look at directron in a sec. Vinyl dieing had occured but it being a cd-rw im not keen to mess anything up. Does vinyl dieing look like the drive was made that way.

9. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

I asked kustompcs and they will actually sell me one for £7.50 (its not on the site, but get in touch and I'm sure they'll sort something out), a bit pricey but hey I need one (I have the same burner, but dont want to paint the standard faceplate cos it will void the warranty and for a £60 drive I'm not too keen)

www.Kustom.co.uk

:)

10. eddie_dane

yes, for painting plastic components, there is no better. Especially, if you use a few very light coats... you can even see embossed or imprinted labeling and logos on the drive when your done.

steals images from cool hand... yoink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

/me gazms over that case..

anyway

Since im on my little "i wanna vinyl dye everything after seeing how easy it is" kick, that doesn't sound like a bad idea.. you know I read somewhere that CD drives with black trays actually perform better, reduces jitter or something.. I think it was a comparison with the new plextor and lite on.. Just ordered a liteon 40x12x48 drive for 72$ btw.. :)

-scoob8000

12. WShock

WShock What's a Dremel?

that case looks good. *dribble*. i recognise the livedrive but whats that crazy button beast below it?

13. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

Try this place.

http://www.harddrive.com/

BTW, could one of you give me some tips on Vinyl Dying parts? I'm not the greatest at painting, and any tips or anything would be very much appreciated. I still have a can left after doing my mouse. Now I'm thinking about doing my drives..any suggestions?

14. scoob8000

15. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

So how many coats would you say? I did my mouse, and I think the mistake I made is I love to overspray. It appears I need to have more patience in doing this.

16. scoob8000

I did about 5 coats average.. Just eyeballing it, if it still looks uneven i threw another coat on.. like my speakers took about 10 coats since they're this weird plastic that just wouldnt absorb the damn dye.. Also as like any painting, you dont wanna do it on humid day, i've noticed this stuff blushes (gets a faded white haze on it) worse than paint..

-scoob8000

17. ivan2740

ivan2740 What's a Dremel?

Do you still have to sand the dye?