1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding cell phone LCD

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Luda, 8 Dec 2002.

1. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

hey,

ive just got a new cell phone because my other one was a piece of crap and i decided to take it apart and see if there were usable parts, its a nokia 6160i ... does anybody know if i can sum how hook this up to my PC and use it as a winamp meter or just as a display, if so how... thanx!:lol:

2. philth

philth What's a Dremel?

unlikely

philth

3. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

that would be cool - but u cant :(

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

if you manage it... i will actually give you money.

look foward to my Nokia 7110 bay mod comming soon... it will be good... i'm looking into using the display for normal stuff... got a mate working at Nokia may be able to get some tech specs... anyhoo

5. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

aww :( i was really lookin forward to that, ive seen alot of led modding where they connect just some random LCD from a clock or a watch or w.e up to the printer port then could scroll messages or use it as a winamp meter. ive got plenty of old clockradios, could i use one of these LCDs? how? sorry im such a modding newb... peace

6. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

hdd44780

google it...

has to be compatible with that in order to use any lcd with parallel port. unless you're a really really good programmer...

:brrr:

.Phire

7. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

ok cool.. so what kind of things around the house have these kind of LCDs? maybe sumthing cheap? an old hand held poker game or what? thanx

8. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

ooo i just found my Cybiko laying around [havent used it in about 2 years] and i think i can maybe use that as an LCD... what do u think?

9. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

10. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

:( it says its a Hitachi HD66421 part... damn it!! lol what else u think i cud find to use? btw i dun wanna buy anything unless i havta lol i know im a cheapy

11. wiLx u Up

wiLx u Up What's a Dremel?

LCD case badge?

That would be a cool idea eh?

12. SitraAchra

SitraAchra Minimodder

maybe if you could read something off of it! haha, it'd be the baby LCD mod. Still a cool thought though!

Sitra

13. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

lol, thing is - most mobile LCDs have the controller on the mainboard of the mobile and tbh, they are teeny tiny chips or set of teeny tiny transistors. In modern mobiles with colour screens, most of them are quite beef (width is trmendously large) altough this maybe due to other features of the phone - but if u take a look at the nokia 8950 and 8950i, nokia managed to fit a colour lcd on the 8950i without having to size it up...much...
    ;) Or at least I think so

Still...good idea