1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CES 2011: Toshiba demos glasses-free 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Jan 2011.

1. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

what I really want to see is more movies on Blu-Ray 3D so I can enjoy my 3D cinema at home! and cheaper prices for blu-rays, pls! lol

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

we go to the movies almost weekly and always watch the 2d version.. I'd like to see this though- might be good for watching wedding crashers again

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

You jest, but that's about as likely as any other system for multi-viewer 3D without glasses right now. Obviously the main application for this would be so we can all watch Avatar again in even better 3D, but it might also help a few partially sighted / blind poeple too :p

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

And?
    3D conversions look like crap. Even Native 3d movies Resident Evil 4 and Tron: Legacy failed to impress me, they looked NO better in 3d than they did in 2d. So after Tron:L, I gave up completely on 3D, its a waste of money unless someone uses it that knows how to do it right (ie: James Cameron). I certainly won't buy a 3dtv just to watch ONE good 3d movie.

I'm far more interested in 4k resolution. Heck, then again, even getting tv's that properly display 24p is still difficult! (fyi, just because it says it "supports" 24p, doesn't mean it displays it correctly, MOST STILL DONT)

5. Too_many_Imps

Too_many_Imps What's a Dremel?

Perhaps not so unbelievable a possibility - there have been articles published on medical research into reversing (certain types of) blindness. These processes rely on a "digital retina" system, with the values being sent directly into the optic nerve. Tests so far have allowed patients to determine light/shadow only due to very low resolution, but improving that's just a matter of investment and time.

See a related BBC news article at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11670044

If it gets good enough, I would envisage people eventually being able to elect buying this type of enhancement to replace all types of screen / mobile phone / etc... Oh no - that means "Enhanced reality" - next need would be a block on the virtualised adverts. Symantec in your head? Hmmm.

Tags: Add Tags