1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changed mem config now won't boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by alkammy, 5 Mar 2007.

1. alkammy

alkammy What's a Dremel?

Hi all at bit tech

Here goes.....

We have just upgraded 1 of our machines to 1GB RAM which freed up the 256 that was in there, so the bosss told me to put it in another machine that only had 512 to make a total 768MB (pretty straight forward you would think!!)

now the 768 PC wont boot, with any combination of memory, it keeps getting to the point where it should switch to the log on panel then freezes.

So i tried a windows repair.... now ot will go through the loading then switch to a 'set up is restarting' screen - then to a blue welcome to windows (like you get when you first install) then will hang (only displaying half of the blue 'welcome' graphic

specs

windows 2k sp4
    athlon 2200+
    512MB unbranded RAM
    asus a7v 333 MoBo
    ati 7000 series 64 MB gfx

also it looks as though 1 of the ram slots is dead... could putting either of the chips into a dead slot have killed? (the chip I mean)

as always excuse the spelling and grammer, thanks in advance for any help,
    off to lunch now back in a mo.....

EDIT - all the above is true when trying safe modes

Last edited: 5 Mar 2007
  2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Try each stick individually in each RAM slot individually also, that way you can rule out if any of the sticks are dead, and/or if any of the slots are dead.

Sounds like you put two different RAM types together and that they screwed with one another though, or screwed with the mobo

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Reset the CMOS and see if you can get it up with one stick.

4. alkammy

alkammy What's a Dremel?

Just about to try the 512 stick in this machine, back in a mo...

EDIT - Yep this stick is fine.....

also during boot the bios logo is some times garbled,and it remains a mess through the POST and the windows loading screen

EDIT 2 - And the RAM from this machine in the problem PC yeilds the same result, I am thinkinf MOBO of GFX card.... Any Ideas?

EDIT 3 - DougEdy - have reset cmos - no effect

5. alkammy

alkammy What's a Dremel?

UPDATE.....

got out an old 4gig drive and started a fresh install of win 2k, and the same problem, so at least I know its not the drive, but I cant get the drive up on any other machine because it is stuck in a repair, (and the fresh install on the reboot) so does this indicate the MOBO??

please correct me if I'm wrong or barking up the wrong proverbial :confused:

EDIT - Off home now check back in the am

thanks y'all

6. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

would suspect the mobo, but if you want, put the ram back in (one at a time if you like) and run memtest

even though the ram boots and seemingly works ok for post, it may still crash once it starts getting used.