1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Changing LEDs and USB Wire in a Lian Li 6 in 1 Card Reader

Discussion in 'Modding' started by tok3n, 27 Dec 2003.

1. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

Has anyone tried to change the leds in a Lian Li CR-03 (6 in 1 Card Reader) before? I think there are 4 green leds. I wonder how accessable they are.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2003
  2. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

Here is a review of the unit (http://www.systemcooling.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1353).

It looks like to mount it internally, you need to use the PCI bracket because the cable is attached to the bracket and it takes two usb headers on the motherboard. I need one for my LCD display. I'm assume one powers and transfers data for the card reader and the other goes to the PCI bracket as a pass-thru usb port?

Would it be possible to take apart the cable and only use the part for powering/data transfer to the card reader? Or even just leave the 2nd part unplugged so it doesn't take up the 2nd usb header on the mobo? Because it seems like they are two seperate cables, just combined together with beige wire wrap.

The last thing that has me confused is why the end of the plug that goes to the card reader has 5 wires where was the end attaching to the usb mobo header only has 4.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2003
  3. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

Anyone familiar with this or motherbard usb that can help me out? I don't want to damage my board by taking apart the card reader connector wires.

4. tok3n

tok3n What's a Dremel?

Anyone tried changing the LEDs? I'm not sure if the circuit board is too hard to get at or the LEDs in a tight spot.

5. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I have no experience with the unit, but of course you can change the leds. I suppose it might not be as easy as one might like, but they're only LEDs they'll swap out as long as you can replace like with like.

The pci back plate you talk off has an extra usb connector on it. This means the unit is using both headers on the motherboard - 1 for the reader and one for this port. If you want to use one for your LCD, you can simply leave the back plate port unplugged. No problems there.