1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cheap & Cheerful

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cei, 21 Jan 2011.

1. okenobi

okenobi New Member

My point was that if you're not gonna use it yourself and it's just for mates to game on occasionally, I think it's a giant waste of money to go overboard on it.

With that in mind, my build makes a lot more sense. And yes it's unbalanced because a gaming system needs a better GPU, and doesn't require the latest CPU.

HOWEVER, it's your money, so if you wanna waste it - fill your boots!

2. Judderman

Judderman New Member

Off topic but okenobi, you are second person I've seen using fill your boots and where does that come from? I think I get what it means.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

To be honest, as it's now a higher spec machine than originally planned, I may well end up using it myself - or the other half when we both game over the 'net. It won't replace my full-fat system, but it will definitely get more use than intended.

Now just waiting for the 2500K to come back in to stock at Scan - got all the other components waiting.

4. barney magru

barney magru New Member

Tbh as others have said, I'd personally have dumped the 2500k and mobo, picked up something like the p2x4955, m4a88tdm and kept the 460 1gb which is still a crackin gpu, thereby saving nearly £150..Just doesn't make sense to go for any other setup.

5. Ferrero94

Ferrero94 New Member

Perhaps you should of aim for a system like im going to order on the weekend.

Just check the build advice section for it it will be on the front page.

Gl with the build anyways

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Cheers :)
    I've assembled everything apart from the CPU + Frio, waiting on stock for the 2500K. Cabling is neat and tidy, though I wish modular PSUs were still more modular and lopped off even more bits - I have no need for molex or 4pin 12V ATX. Obviously still undecided on GPU, so I've got an old X800 in for the time being.

Quite liking the R3 case, only downside is that routing the SATA cables off the motherboard is a very tight turn (if aiming for the cutouts in the tray). Might see if there's a better way to do it or not once I'm doing the final assembly.

7. okenobi

okenobi New Member

I think the etymology of the phrase stems from Britain's rich nautical heritage, but I'm not sure on the specifics. One idea is to use every available container for either rum, or plundered riches, hence filling your boots as well as whatever you could carry/drink. But who knows....! Random one :thumb:

No doubt our yank friends have their own idioms!

Fair one. Enjoy it :)