1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Check this before installing Windows 10 or 11

Discussion in 'Software' started by giskard, 5 Apr 2022.

1. giskard

giskard System builder

If your motherboard has a built-in TPM, then make sure it's enabled before you install Windows if you plan to use a TPM for encryption (I guess for Windows 11 you'll have to have it enabled anyway).

If it's not enabled and you install Windows, subsequently enabling it will cause issues with certain applications that use the Windows encryption API which will report that an encryption key-pair cannot be created; I'm not sure whether disabling the TPM is the BIOS resolves the issue.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Doesn't the TPM module just need setting up in Windows? I enabled my TPM after install without issue then upgraded to 11.

3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Do you mean in BIOS TPM, or a physical TPM module on the board?

Because I've had zero issues after enabling bios TPM on a year old Ryzen build. It's still running 10 for now though.

4. giskard

giskard System builder

I meant the BIOS TPM or the one that's built-in to my Ryzen CPU.

I've had no issues with Windows as such but an application I'm using to backup my mobile phone shows the below error message:
    upload_2022-6-1_12-7-32.png
    I've been advised that the only workaround is to reinstall Windows and ensure that the TPM is enabled in the BIOS beforehand.

No other apps have a problem, but it does seem to be an issue for apps which use the Windows Cryptographic API