1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Chic 5 button mouse

Discussion in 'Software' started by AdeTBun, 14 Aug 2003.

1. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

Does anybody have any idea how I can get the side buttons on my Chic 5 button optical mouse to work in Linux? Only just got the web wheel working but would like to be able to use the side buttons as browser buttons as I'm lazy and don't like using the browser back and forwards buttons! lol.:naughty:

2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I to have a multi buton mouse, with side browser buttons. I haven't been able to get it to work either.

Of course being a Microsoft mouse really doesn't help. :lol:

3. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

PMSL. I can see your point! I have been looking for an MSN compatible messenger with Voice over IP like MSN messenger 6! What do you think the odds of Microsoft ever releasing MSN 6 for Linux? lol. I have now formatted my XP drive and reinstalled Windows 2000 Pro just for MSN 6! pmsl. Oh and for working on my website (for some reason it really struggles with Mozilla! Probably something to do with it using Front Page Extensions! pmsl).

Oh well, at least the wheel works now! Shame about the fact that I can't use it plugged into a USB port and the side buttons don't do anything! have got it plugged into a USB to PS2 converter that came with!

Ade :waah:

4. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

I have mine plugged into a PS/2 adapter as well. Mainly because if I put it in teh USB, Windows thinks it's a camera, Linux jsut detects it aas a generic mouse (As usual) and neither OS can work with teh thing, because anytime I move teh mouse, it hogs ALL of my resources and slags my system down.

:p

I know there is a Messenger clone for Linux, I forget what it is though.

And what is pmsl ? Forgive my shallow mind.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

pissing myself laughing :)

amsn is a good linux msn client
    you can get side buttons working with imwheel, google it,

6. RTT

RTT #parp

Woo another wolverhampton-er :D

7. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

rofl, I just came in here to post the exact same question. Cheers dude, saved me the bother :)

trying out imwheel

amsn is the best messenger clone I've found, better than any windows client imho. You can get it for winblows as well.

8. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

:blush: I'm afraid that I'm guilty of giving up and going back to Windows XP. I'll start using Linux again when one of two things happens:-
    1) Linux becomes more user friendly with device support equal to that of Windows and able to run Windows software out of the box.
    or
    2) I can afford to build another PC to tinker with Linux with that isn't my main rig! lol

Oh well, fingers crossed! :sigh:

9. Lucifer

Lucifer What's a Dremel?

it has great device support, you just need to know how to use it. i'm sure you'd have as much trouble with XP if you'd never used it before.

much windows software works through WINE, which is installed by default with many distro's...

linux on a desktop isn't for everyone, but i use it, and i love it :)

10. I have used gaim as an IM client and it works well. It can message people in msn, aol, yahoo, ICQ, etc...

11. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

I had already tried Gaim etc but unfortunately they don't support VOIP like MSN 6 and Yahoo messenger on windows and I use my computer to talk to my mother using a headset.

I will reinstall Linux again one day, just not yet.

Thanks

Tags: