1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Chinese X99/Xeon motherboards.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by InSanCen, 28 Mar 2024.

1. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

I'm looking at building something new. My Ryzen build never happened because, well, life. Now at a point it can. However...

I've seen a few of the Chinese X99 Xeon E5 builds, and that looks like a LOT of compute power for not that much money. Has anyone got any firsthand experience? Gotcha's? Not familiar with this level of enterprise CPU.

Looking at a minimum of, 12c/24t, 64GB in quad channel, but open to more as long as the cost jump isn't silly. Rig will be used for various 3D/Music/video production tasks. Already have a 145W CPU so not worried about power draw in the slightest, and a quick look at comparison sites suggests an E5 2697 will slay my current setup in both single (newer) and multicore (more of them), despite a lower base clock speed.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2024
  2. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

I have a Machinest/jingua (forget the spelling) x99, 64GB DDR (2x32GB) and a single E5 2699 V4 going spare, but I used the same rig with 2x 2699's and a combination of 128gb and 256gb setups that I used for software engineering/development. I had several of them in fact and they performed better than the Sunmicro/dell/HP server counterparts I also had/have/used in terms of reliability.

I'm also trying to shift it, as I've had a change of a career. If you have any questions, please do let me know.

3. InSanCen

Sods law, as mine (at long last) arrives tomorrow. Machinist MR9A Pro, 2680 v4.
    That said, I'm always interested in a decently priced bit of kit. Drop me a PM with what you have if you haven shifted it.

4. gamesaregood

gamesaregood Minimodder

The main downside of these is power efficiency and lack of official windows 11 support.

Great otherwise I believe for Linux / windows 10 builds.

5. InSanCen

Just an update to say what I got was spot on. Machinist store on AliExpress, (Biased, I used to be a machinist). Links to similar item at end of post. No affiliate, no kickbacks, just info for those interested.

Machinist MR9A (Non-Pro), Xeon E5-2680v4, 2x 16GB DDR4 (with room for 2 more, quad channel), cheap little 3 fan cooler (No RGB) that is surprisingly effective, almost certainly wont need to go with water.

I added a 512GB NvME bought off here that I hadn't put in a system yet, and a small SSD to transfer stuff over. The case is a old-as-dust CM Stacker STC-T01 that I've had for about 20 years. It'll get more spinning rust added when I organise it all and transfer it over, if I don't decide to rationalise all the drives into a RAID10 NAS and put it in that. It's got Linux Mint 21.3 Installed.

We'll give Blender a little spin later to push it, but initial impressions are very good indeed. Kind of amazed you can build this for well under £300. Certainly blows the Bulldozer based system out of the water.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005677156371.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005170272660.html

Last edited: 25 Apr 2024 at 11:22