1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Choosing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngelOfRage, 30 May 2012.

1. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I'm looking to upgrade to Ivybridge soon, and after reading different reviews and articles decided on the 3570k and a Z77 Sabertooth. The only thing is there doesn't seem to be as much on memory as when I was last doing a PC build.

The standard seems to be 8GB DDR3 1600MHz. But do I need to pay attention to listed latency settings? Do the different brands have such a difference or do they all use the same RAM chips (Micron still?)

Is the new 30nm Samsung "green" ram the best over other types like Crucial Ballistix Elite in the £50 price bracket?

Any advice would be appreciated. (PC is mainly used for playing MMORPGS)

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Anything from Corsair for around the £40-45 mark will do you just fine, unless you're an overclocking nutter. Latency makes such a minuscule difference at modern frequencies that you'd have to be superhuman to spot the difference.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/memory-ram/ddr3-(240-pin)-single-dual-channel-(1600mhz)

Bear in mind that some of the more exotic RAMsinks might interfere with your CPU cooler. I use XMS3 personally, it just gets the job done and is backed up with a superb warranty.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Custom PC cover this in the latest issue - can't remember the results now but they did change their recommendations as a result of testing different speeds (possibly up to 1866 but don't quote me on that) - will dig out the results when I get home.

GK

4. Shirty

Really? I was reading this article the other day and I have to say that for gaming I'd have to win the lottery to pay any extra for my memory.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

That basically tells me that the 1600MHz bandwidth is more than enough for modern games. If you use an IGP then it may be a different story.

6. Shirty

Very true, it's largely down to the fact that Intel designed the entire architecture around 1600MHz. Also, I sincerely hope that anyone buying a 3570k for a gaming machine isn't using the IGP! :hehe:

7. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

One other option might be to fork out more for Samsung 30nm stuff, it might only be available from Overclockers uk (ugh.), but it's still damn good memory, barely the height of the socket, and capable of running at absolutely nutty speeds on what would be considered normal voltages for all other modules to even achieve their rated speeds.

8. Shirty

I suppose it depends on whether AngelOfRage just wants good quality RAM he can plug in and forget about for a bargain price, or something a bit more special. I fall into the former category, because I've not found overclocking RAM very exciting or beneficial for years now. It used to be though!

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm after the Samsung 30nm stuff personally because it means I don't have to care while i'm overclocking. I often skew my base frequency to get the CPU stable, but that means the memory is running at odd speeds, often over rated. The Vengance LP stuff is very good up to 1700, but then it just brick-walls.

I do agree that it depends on the use, though. I won't see any real benefit out of the 30nm stuff because the Memory Controller in Loldozer is so awful, but it'd still be nice to know that i can do almost anything and the memory won't care.

10. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Thanks for the advice folks. I was wondering about the Samsung green as it is no more expensive than other 8GB sets such as the crucial and corsair ones. While i'm not going to be messing with the settings too much, I may try my hand at overclocking the 3570k at some point, maybe after summer when the air temps drop again!

But I guess from what people have said, it doesn't make a big enough difference to worry too much about it. Go for the best deal and with a brand you know of?

Shirty likes this.
  11. Shirty

Would be my advice :thumb:

No branded DDR3 1600MHz memory will hold you back from overclocking your processor (these things are independent nowadays what with multiplier overclocking being the norm).

I personally recommend Corsair because I have had many good experiences of them, they have a very good RMA record and their modules are widely regarded as some of the best in terms of compatibility.

If you really want to save a few pennies there is quite often decent RAM for sale in the marketplace too.